Damaged kitchen tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Pictured is a tile with a hole in it. We have underfloor heating and I am wondering if I can replace the tile and if so what’s best to use and how’s it best to go about doing it? I’ve never removed or laid a tile before and especially over underfloor heating

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

Kind regards

John

Attachments

• 84572D9B-FF8B-4EA8-9ED9-89A531EB3492.jpeg
    84572D9B-FF8B-4EA8-9ED9-89A531EB3492.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 64
  • F9B347AB-EE19-4C0F-9D61-180047C7E157.jpeg
    F9B347AB-EE19-4C0F-9D61-180047C7E157.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
Do you have another tile of the same batch to replace it with?

I don’t physically but I can get a replacement one from B&Q as they still stock them

So long as they don't interlock with the tiles surrounding them it should be pretty easy to replace it with a new one.
You will need to break out the rest of that tile by opening up around the damaged area using a hammer and small chisel. Take care not to damage adjacent tiles. Once you broken up the area by the current break remove the broken bits until you can see the solid floor beneath. It's not a 'quick' job where you go hammer crazy. Patience is the key! Keep chipping away at small areas a bit at a time, (you may get the occasional large piece which cracks but stays firmly stuck. Again, patience and chipping will free it). Once all the tile is removed you need to scrape the underfloor so it is smooth and level. It will also probably be better to remove any surrounding grout to give you the maximum area to lay the new tile. Spread your tile adhesive evenly over the exposed area and then draw a comb through it to produce ridges. Carefully lay the new tile into position ensuring you have an equal gap around all sides. Press down gently, but firmly, all over ensuring it is level with the surrounding tiles. Allow to set for the prescribed time in the adhesive instructions, (usually about 24 hours). Do NOT walk on it during this time.
Once set you will need to re-grout around the edges with a matching grout to the original and then polish off any residue.

PS If they do interlock with the surrounding tiles by little 'nibs', you will probably need to break these off before laying the new one.

Sponsored Links
So long as they don't interlock with the tiles surrounding them it should be pretty easy to replace it with a new one.
You will need to break out the rest of that tile by opening up around the damaged area using a hammer and small chisel. Take care not to damage adjacent tiles. Once you broken up the area by the current break remove the broken bits until you can see the solid floor beneath. It's not a 'quick' job where you go hammer crazy. Patience is the key! Keep chipping away at small areas a bit at a time, (you may get the occasional large piece which cracks but stays firmly stuck. Again, patience and chipping will free it). Once all the tile is removed you need to scrape the underfloor so it is smooth and level. It will also probably be better to remove any surrounding grout to give you the maximum area to lay the new tile. Spread your tile adhesive evenly over the exposed area and then draw a comb through it to produce ridges. Carefully lay the new tile into position ensuring you have an equal gap around all sides. Press down gently, but firmly, all over ensuring it is level with the surrounding tiles. Allow to set for the prescribed time in the adhesive instructions, (usually about 24 hours). Do NOT walk on it during this time.
Once set you will need to re-grout around the edges with a matching grout to the original and then polish off any residue.

PS If they do interlock with the surrounding tiles by little 'nibs', you will probably need to break these off before laying the new one.
Thankyou conny,

Based on the range being at the edge of the tile, would you say replace the tile next to it or would it be ok to replace only the one and the grout would fill in the little bit of the edge?

Thanks,
John

I'd just replace the clearly damaged one. The grout will certainly mask the minute chip in the one on the left and I can guarantee no one but yourself will know it is there. Eventually even you will forget about/not notice it.

I'd just replace the clearly damaged one. The grout will certainly mask the minute chip in the one on the left and I can guarantee no one but yourself will know it is there. Eventually even you will forget about/not notice it.

I think both photos are of the same tile, same single chip.

Thankyou guys your right I’ll replace the tile with the chip in and I’m sure it will look fine and I’ll deffo get the replacement tile asap as to make sure it’s in stock lol

Here is an updated photo of the floor tile that I replaced! I only replaced the damaged one and not the one next to it that had a little chip on the edge.

The grouts still wet in the picture but it’s all done now and looks brand new, myself and wife’s happy now it’s replaced lol

Attachments

• E5F621F2-F4D5-4C5B-A806-890E9AB9B9B8.jpeg
    E5F621F2-F4D5-4C5B-A806-890E9AB9B9B8.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back