Replacing tiles over underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just bought a house that has underfloor heating in the kitchen & hallway but the ceramic tiles over them are not to our taste.

The heating is electric but I don't know much more than that right now. If you need more information is there anything I can look at from what I can see at the edge where it joins the adjoining rooms without having to lift any tiles?

Is it possible (assuming it's a mesh system in screed?) to safely remove the tiles and re-tile without causing any issues? If it is possible then I assume that once the tiles are up it'd be best to turn the heating on and ensure that we'd not broken any parts of the heating wire during the removal process.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if its in screed then you'll be fine and won't damage it, if its over the screed wire or mat then you'd be lucky to be able to get it up without damaging it.

Most in screed UFH is water based and pumped so theres a very good changes its over screed.

If you have the height you could tile over the top - its not ideal and will make the heating less efficient, but it would work if the current tiles are solid

If been fixed properly the elect ufh should be incased in a latex self levelling compound....so if your lifting tiles be very careful and you shouldn't damage it....but on the other hand in may not be in cased in slc...so you may have to bite the bullit and replace it all..

Best to get a tile fixer in to have a look before proceeding..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back