changing tile over underfloor heating? costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

We've just viewed a property that we love and we're going to put an offer on it.

Its a recent (2019) barn conversion that has a heat-pump heating and has underfloor heating throughout the ground floor. The ground floor is tiled.

The only issue is that the tiles they have chosen are really not to our taste and we'd want to change them - but I have no idea how complex this is given that underfloor heating is in place.

The ground floor is big, 98m2 and the kitchen is also tiled so there will be some faffing to tile around the units.

I have no experience with underfloor heating and am quite nervous about it. Could anyone advise how big a job this is and whether the underfloor heating would effectively be scrapped as the tiles are removed?

A guidance per-metre of how much to expect to pay for removal and replacement (obvs excluding the cost of the new tiles) would be incredibly helpful as we'll need to factor this in before making an offer tomorrow evening.

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Cost for someone else to do it- quite a lot I'd imagine.
Depends how the ufh has been installed- if the pipework is buried in cement screed then the tiles should come up without damaging it.

You should find a crack (decoupling) membrane under the tiles, this is glued to the screed, then the tiles, glued to this. Idea is when the screed moves due to heat, the tiles don't, the movement is done via the membrane.

I've no idea how this fairs when you want to change the tiles, but might give you another angle of research.

Sponsored Links
That's really helpful, thanks both. I'll work off the pricing for some floor tiling work we've just had done in our current house (removal and replacement) and will add a few hundered quid to cover a trade coming out to check the underfloor heating before re-tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back