re-using corrugated iron sheets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone advise me on the following aspects of the above subject?
I've been given a dozen sheets of what appear to be in old money 11ft by 2ft galvanised sheeting, not rusty but having been used they have 4 rows of nail holes across them, some removed more carefully than others.
The intended use is a pent shed which I am building from scratch, which may get lined and insulated properly. I want to use the full amount which would give a shed almost 24ft wide(i've a half acre in the middle of nowhere!). The depth would depend on the pitch, but I'll do the calcs on that based on 20 degrees and adjust it in or out to suit 600c/c sizes. I may get away with having the rows of holes at either end on the overhangs, but that leaves 2 rows mid sheet to deal with. If I lay them out and get them in order I'd be able to measure and work out where to put the purlins to reuse the holes- so, the crux, is this a short cut to disaster or can the holes be filled/sealed prior to the last hammer of the nail with silicone/sikaflex? I was planning to felt below this on 12mm ply. Or would it be better to reposition the purlins altogether, make new holes and treat the old ones by sealing/plugging them?
I can't find suppliers in my area, the alternative is new ones- what's the going rate for this size and anyone know of suppliers between Perth and Inverness?
At the worst I need a new permanent woodshed so a minor leak is no issue there so they will get used regardless!
thanks, Barry

Sponsored Links
If it's only a workshop then I'm assuming asthetics aren't high on your list of prioritys so I'd be inclined to position your timbers to suit the holes.
If however that isn't totally possible then I'd fill the hole with a rubber gromit and nut and bolt.

Yer traditional agricultural solution to this problem is two sheets of corrugated holes with overlapping fertiliser bags between them.

Arrr.

Sponsored Links
Both good ideas, seems a waste to scrap them. I've used that sikaflex before it's a top adhesive and would fit the bill perfectly. Drilling through and using a rubber washer is a good idea with a suitable short nut and bolt- would need to rethink the ply/felt as that would be difficult as no access from below.
I've done the calcs- it'll be 7.2m long by 3m deep. Height at the front will be 3m, at the back 2.2m(80cm difference). This gives an angle of 14.9 degrees and the length of the roof will be 3.1m which is ideal it falls between the outer two rows of holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back