Re-using Norton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've done a few searches here in recent dyas but can't seem to find something that matches my query. I hope someone can advise or point me to a thread that will help of possible.

We bought a new laptop at the same time as my son bought his home computer last year and got Norton 360 version 4 installed on both as part of the deal we struck. We had the version that can be used on 3 PC's but only used it for the 2 new ones and it runs out on our laptop next week.

What I would like to know is if I can use the one left over to run for another year and if I can what do I need to do to install it or will it not be able to be used on the same computer or is it out of date? If not what is the best offer for Norton currently available (we are very happy with how it has worked over the past year.) .
Please bear in mind that I am in my 70's and it may take me (and my husband) a while to get to grips with some technical details you may offer.

Thank you
Maggie

Sponsored Links
In a word, no.

You could use it on a fresh install, or new laptop but not on the same one.

Ah, as we expected but wanted to make sure before we buy/download a new version. Would you know if the free versions are as good as the bought ones - I'm always a bit sceptical of getting something for nothing these days, especially online!

Thank you
Maggie

Difficult one that, each one is different.

I use avg free, but I don't use free music download sites, other free stuff and I'm very pc savvy. So very very rarely get problems.

Sponsored Links
OK, thank you. My grandchildren often use the laptop when visiting and say they love it because it works really well for what they want - goodness knowws what that is. Perhaps I'd be safer buying a new version because as I said it's been fine since we've had it and wouldnt want to change that for a few pounds.

Thank you again
Maggie

OK, thank you. My grandchildren often use the laptop when visiting and say they love it because it works really well for what they want - goodness knowws what that is. Perhaps I'd be safer buying a new version because as I said it's been fine since we've had it and wouldnt want to change that for a few pounds.

Thank you again
Maggie

No problem.

Based on what you said, I would upgrade the norton.

Stick with what you know.

My personal preference is for ESET's NOD32 Antivirus. I have found that the "big" ones like Norton and Mcaffee are very resource hungry and can cause slow-downs to such an extent that PCs with small amounts of RAM crash. I am responsible for 7 servers and 40 workstations, PCs and laptops and since moving from Mcaffee to NOD32 complaints about slow performance have reduced. Best of all, NOD32 warns you when Windows needs updating! OK, it's not exactly cheap, but it is, imo, good. www.eset.co.uk It doesn't cost anything to look.
HTH
edit - two typos :oops:

Thank-you both for the extra infromation there are some good prices for the NORTON products in that other topic and the NOD seems a good deal also. I will ask my son tomorrow which he thinks will be best but as i mentioned I think he will agree we should probably stick with whatwe know and he says his need renewing to because it runs out at the same time as ours. (obviously - ha ha!)

Many thanks
Maggie

Please bear in mind that ESET permit a maximum of three licences in one transaction for home users. This can reduce the cost per PC considerably, especially if you "sign up" for two or three years.

We updated to version 5 Norton and used all 3 licences because my son used one for the grandchildrens computer. We are all happy anyhow but there was a service charge on the Norton dowwnload so that added £7.99 onto the half price deal that MisterHelpful linked to in his thread so it worked out at just over £12 per computer which wasnt that bad really - typical add ons I suppose. :rolleyes:

Anyway thanks again everyone - all sorted now.

Maggie

I have always used the free ones mainly AVAST, although 12 quid a pop aint that bad!!

...there was a service charge on the Norton dowwnload so that added £7.99 onto the half price deal that MisterHelpful linked to in his thread so it worked out at just over £12 per computer which wasnt that bad really - typical add ons I suppose. :rolleyes:

That service charge wasn't necessary if your existing Norton hadn't expired. It was only 'needed' to remove any potential threats, spyware, malware etc that may have invaded your computer during any time that you weren't covered. (Probably unlikely, and as you say, a typical add-on! :mad: )
If you had opened the 'What's this?' link next to the item it would have told you that. :( I just unchecked the box and it was removed which meant I only paid the £29.99 advertised for the 3 licenses.

(I'm assuming that you renewed before the original expired when I say this.)

Ah, perhaps we will have to learn a bit more about computers to know exactly what we are buying infuture and not waste even more money than we need to - ha ha!. We did renew on our last day of cover so proably could have done without it and did think about ticking the trash box but were not sure what it was and didnt notice a link so we'll have to open our eyes in future :eek: - oh well, we live and learn.

From what we've read and learnt in both threads though, I think we might try the free versions next year when we are a bit more pc savvy.

Thanks again everyone
Maggie

Sponsored Links
Back