Re-varnishing window frames?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have the older style double-glazing windows with wooden frames and the old varnish is peeling badly after several hot summers! I want to re-varnish these but is there an easy way to remove the old peeling paint other than sandpaper? The upstairs and downstairs windows need doing. I may opt for varish again or paint them white this time to avoid having to mask it all off!

Sponsored Links
No, sand them down.

And if you really mean varnish was used last time, nexrt time go for an external woodstain. they are usually slightly flexible to stop then cracking, and slightly breathing to let moisture vapour out.

JohnD said:
No, sand them down.

And if you really mean varnish was used last time, nexrt time go for an external woodstain. they are usually slightly flexible to stop then cracking, and slightly breathing to let moisture vapour out.

Wickes do a 5 year "Professional" Exterior Clear Gloss Varnish that's flexible and microporous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back