Re-Wiring bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This question has probably been asked a trillion times but here goes anyway.
I'm replacing the bathroom fan which used to work by pull cord from its own power source in the loft.I want the new fan to work from a double gang switch which will operate the bathroom lights and fan indepentaltly from the landing.The the back of the two gang switch i'm using has a common connection at the top for both switches and an "L1 & L2 connection at the bottom for both switches.The light switch side of it isn't a problem as the original two red wires coming into the rear of the switch are using the common and L1 connection and works fine.Bearing in mind i already have a live feed for the fan and i want to operate it with a switch rather than a pull cord and the power connection into the fan is a straight forward neutral/live,how do i wire it to the switch PLEASE.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
This question opens up a can of worms! To answer it simply, you need to wire your switchline cable into Com and L1 of the new switch. You can take your new switchline cable from the existing pull cord and replace that with an accesible Joint box, or run a switchline from the fan.

Trouble is it's not always that easy! Is your fan in a safe zone? Is it mains voltage? Does the pullcord use a switchline or is it a fed switch? Is your bathroom bonded? Is the fan on the same circuit as the light? And should you really be using a DP switch?

Thanks for the quick reply.
I answer to your questions,yes i consider the fan to be in a safe zone and yes it's mains voltage but i don't know what you mea by "
Does the pullcord use a switchline or is it a fed switch?"I think the fan is on the same circuit as the light because when i pop the circuit breaker in the main fuse box for the upper lights, both lights and fan power is isolated.

Many thanks again.

Sponsored Links
A fed switch contains the neutrals (usually in a terminal block) as well as live feeds (into COM) and switched live out (into L2).

A switchline arrangement is where the feeds and neutrals are elsewhere (eg in a light fitting or JB) and a 2-core and earth cable (the switchline) takes this feed to the switch. One of the cores connects the live feed to COM. The other takes the feed back from L1 to the light or fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back