Re-Wiring Telephone into house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi peeps any body know of any good web sites i can get helpwith re-wiring my bt line with new cable at the moment there is old cable (4 colours) but need to re wire it with new cable (6 clours) but unsre on what to exactly do when connecting it to the main bt line

any help would be great thanks

Sponsored Links
You what? You aint allowed o touch BT's own wiring. After the master socket if your responsibility. The master socket and incoing wire are theirs. DO NOT touch it.

Explain better what you are trying to achieve.

And the colours of BT wires havent changed. They might have more or less cables.

sorry should bemore clear,

from Black BT Cable is connected to Brown Bt cable which then runs into the house,
This is dead need to connect new line from black Cable,

as follows it is this.

10 wires
BLACK MAIN BT

4 wires
Brown Cable which runs into house.

-------------->
only connected
together by 2
wires

White ----------> White

Blue ----------> Orange

the rest are just tied back. The way they are connected together is there pushed into a orange gummie slot.

So i need to change the brown cable for new cable just need to know how too do it with minmum fuss.

Sponsored Links
to be honest really wouldnot mind doing that ....

The problem is i dont have £140 spare to give to them for fixing sumit that i should be able to do my self.

The only reason im doing this in the first place is because ****ty Virgin Media cut of the old bt line cus they thought i was not using it. and installed theres over the top. When i rung and told them the situation they said because the bt line was not in use it was not there problem

dastley said:
The only reason im doing this in the first place is because s Virgin Media cut of the old bt line cus they thought i was not using it. and installed theres over the top. When i rung and told them the situation they said because the bt line was not in use it was not there problem

mmm...a similar thing happened to me - except that I'm still with NTL and just wanted to tidy things up how I wanted it should I ever move back to BT. Contrary to popular view, it's not illegal to touch the drop wire and connect things how you want, but that won't necessarily get you very far down the line of getting an active line with BT and it is against their stated T&Cs. BT have quoted £140 for this then, on the basis that your line is inactive, or has it become inactive because of what Virgin have done? If it's the latter, I can't see BT charging you for this, if it's the former, there might be more to getting your line active anyway...

sorry again should have been more clear...

My line is active which is the scary thing. When i ring my number on mymobile i canhear it ringing, But when i connect a house phone the line is dead.. That why im sure the Brown cable comming from the Black BT cable is dead and all i wanted to do with just reconnect some new cable then connect it to the telephone socket and hey presto it would work. I understand that it maybe over my head though.

dastley said:
The only reason im doing this in the first place is because s Virgin Media cut of the old bt line cus they thought i was not using it. and installed theres over the top. When i rung and told them the situation they said because the bt line was not in use it was not there problem

There is no problem then.

Simply tell BT that without your knowledge someone cut your BT cable. The first you knew about it was when the BT phone went dead. You think it may have been Virgin Media but you cannot be sure.

If you had no part in the damage and had taen due diligence to protect the BT owned drop wire from damage it is not you who will have to pay.

Make any attempt to cover up or repair the damage and you lose the protection of due diligence and could become liable for the full repair cost.

dastley said:
sorry again should have been more clear...

My line is active which is the scary thing. When i ring my number on mymobile i canhear it ringing, But when i connect a house phone the line is dead.. That why im sure the Brown cable comming from the Black BT cable is dead and all i wanted to do with just reconnect some new cable then connect it to the telephone socket and hey presto it would work. I understand that it maybe over my head though.

Hi Dastley, I am a BT engineer so hopefully be able to kinda point you in right direction . :confused: ......

Ok so the 5 pair cable which is the main feed has:

Pair 1: Blue/White
Pair 2: Orange/White
Pair 3: Green/White
Pair 4: Brown/White
Pair 5: Slate/White

The Blue White is the first pair which on entry to the house should terminate on the A/B screw terminations on the back of the main NTE socket. That should then give you service to the main socket only. From there any extensions should come off the front plate of the NTE which are typically terminated as follows:

A Leg - 5
B Leg - 2

and then one other into 3 for the ringer. It really dosent matter which colours you use for this process as long as its exactly the same at the extension socket.

If the line is faulty BEFORE where it terminates onto the NTE ie the 5 pair cable, then this is BT's responsibility and should be fixed free of charge to yourself.

thanks alan you have been a great help.
NOt sure what nte means, also what legA and legB mean but the rest i follow. from the main two pair blue and white, They were connected to a old 2pair of white and orange, with green and black being left loose. the way they were connected was using sumit called a crimp, for the two lines,

There is no main socket in the house it was taken out and covered up, all that was left is a extension running around outside and into the lving room but then tied back and a black sock placed over the 2 pairs,

Sorry to hijack the post a bit but...

AlanB27 I have a grey BT junction box on the outside of my house.

From there my line pair go through the wall into my kitchen to my NTE master socket which is just lying on the floor not fixed to anything (was like this when I moved in :cry: ).

Am I ok to renew the line pair from the junction box and fix my master socket to a wall in my frontroom or is this a big no no and illegal?

Sorry again to Hijack :oops:

Sorry, NTE stands for Network Terminating Equipment, basically the very first main socket before any extensions. This is what it looks like.

btmaster.jpg

As far as A and B legs, with your 5 pair cable A is the first leg (cable) for each pair....for example

Pair 1 A leg = white B leg = Blue
Pair 2 A leg = white B leg = Orange

and so on.

Its not really that important these days keeping them in right order however, as modern phones or devices are not polarity conscious and therefore it does not matter if you get them the other way round.

My advice to you is to source out an NTE5, connect the blue white to the pair of screws at the back of that, then get a new 6 wire cable (usually white with 3 pairs blue/white, orange/white and green/white) and terminate that to the front plate which will then be your extensions.

If you are not sure about doing this yourself, ask a local Bt engineer if you see one kicking about, im sure he'd happily do it as a homer. Save you money

Hope this helps

Roo said:
Sorry to hijack the post a bit but...

AlanB27 I have a grey BT junction box on the outside of my house.

From there my line pair go through the wall into my kitchen to my NTE master socket which is just lying on the floor not fixed to anything (was like this when I moved in :cry: ).

Am I ok to renew the line pair from the junction box and fix my master socket to a wall in my frontroom or is this a big no no and illegal?

Sorry again to Hijack :oops:

Thats absolutely fine. You are well within your rights to do that yourself. Only problem is if you DO mess it up, or a fault occurs due to work you've carried out and you have to call out an engineer to sort it, they will more than likely charge you.

I assume the box you refer to is a small grey slide cover box with one screw at the bottom?

You said you have just moved in, does this mean you have yet to have the actual service activated? If this is the case, an engineer will tidy all that for you on the install. As service has already existed it should mean you dont get charged for it either.

I moved in a year ago.

And to be honest I've already done it but was just checking if I was allowed or not.

I know I know I should have checked first. :oops:

Thanks anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back