Reaction time

I know this is not the purpose of the thread, but wobs is right reaction time (within limits) has nothing to do with how good a sportsman, racing driver, pilot, car driver you are. Its more to do with experience and awareness.

I beg to differ, when I served in the RAF every so often we had to do QRA (Quick Readiness Alert) on Lightnings, two aircraft sat in a bunker at the end of the runway, to pass the time we had a variety of games, one being that stupid hand football thing where you drop the ball in and try and score against your opponents, I was carp, however some of my fellow workmates were brilliant but a few times the jockeys would come into our crew room and they would dominate hands down, their reaction time was phenomenal, this was one of the criteria at their training camp, those with slow reaction times became Hercules pilots.

I disagree, as does this study

"The results showed that expert pilots were more accurate than age-matched volunteers, with no significant difference in reaction time - so, the pilots were able to perform the task at the same speed but with higher accuracy."

Sponsored Links
I know this is not the purpose of the thread, but wobs is right reaction time (within limits) has nothing to do with how good a sportsman, racing driver, pilot, car driver you are. Its more to do with experience and awareness.

I beg to differ, when I served in the RAF every so often we had to do QRA (Quick Readiness Alert) on Lightnings, two aircraft sat in a bunker at the end of the runway, to pass the time we had a variety of games, one being that stupid hand football thing where you drop the ball in and try and score against your opponents, I was carp, however some of my fellow workmates were brilliant but a few times the jockeys would come into our crew room and they would dominate hands down, their reaction time was phenomenal, this was one of the criteria at their training camp, those with slow reaction times became Hercules pilots.

I disagree, as does this study

"The results showed that expert pilots were more accurate than age-matched volunteers, with no significant difference in reaction time - so, the pilots were able to perform the task at the same speed but with higher accuracy."

That was 2010. Perhaps standards have fallen since Lightnings were scrapped! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back