Reaction time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know all of you are very good drivers, so here is a fun test to seeHow good your speed is!

The automobile driving manual says the average driver's reaction time is .75 secondsOr 1 car length for every 10 mph.

Test your average reaction time. Be careful, this can be addictive! You will beSurprised at how slow you really are.

JUST CLICK ON THE DART WHEN THE SHEEP STARTS TO RUN ..... THERE ARE 5 SHEEP
Click below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/reaction_version5.swf

Sponsored Links
Yeah, done this before! Good fun... but can't seem to get higher than rabbit.

I am, apparently, a bobbing bobcat. Average reaction time = 0.2952 seconds, which I think is quite good.

Good game, good game.

Sponsored Links
I remember Clarkson playing "slaps" with Michael Schumacher to test his reaction times. He was no better than Clarkson (more or less), which showed that a racing driver's skill was not in reaction times.

The conclusion was that they were just better at multi-tasking, that they could process all the information that a driver must handle better than the rest of us.

Admittedly, such a test was a prime example of un-scientific.

I know this is not the purpose of the thread, but wobs is right reaction time (within limits) has nothing to do with how good a sportsman, racing driver, pilot, car driver you are. Its more to do with experience and awareness.

0.2 seconds. Yippeeeee! Not as fast emptying the dishwasher though.

A good game, but in reality our reaction times are probably a bit longer.
Familiarity (in driving) tends to lead to complacency. How many of us actually concentrate 100% on the road while driving?

I know this is not the purpose of the thread, but wobs is right reaction time (within limits) has nothing to do with how good a sportsman, racing driver, pilot, car driver you are. Its more to do with experience and awareness.

I beg to differ, when I served in the RAF every so often we had to do QRA (Quick Readiness Alert) on Lightnings, two aircraft sat in a bunker at the end of the runway, to pass the time we had a variety of games, one being that stupid hand football thing where you drop the ball in and try and score against your opponents, I was carp, however some of my fellow workmates were brilliant but a few times the jockeys would come into our crew room and they would dominate hands down, their reaction time was phenomenal, this was one of the criteria at their training camp, those with slow reaction times became Hercules pilots.

Familiarity (in driving) tends to lead to complacency. How many of us actually concentrate 100% on the road while driving?

I multitask. Driving, listening to music, listening to the wife on the mobile phone, drinking cans of lager, doing the crossword, picking my nose...

:oops:

I multitask. Driving, listening to music, listening to the wife on the mobile phone, drinking cans of lager, doing the crossword, picking my nose...

:oops:

Respect man!

Sponsored Links
Back