Reading programmable output from Texecom Premier into Arduin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Texecom premier 24 has 8 programmable outputs, however the manual says they are 'Switched 0V' could anyone tell me what does that mean?

Also If I want to read the output from Texecom Panel into Arduino/Respberry Pi, how can I do that? would I need some special circuit because arduino operates on 3.3V/5V but Texcom runs on 12V.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Switched 0v means that when the output is active, the output voltage will be pulled down to 0V.

If the panel outputs were open collector, then you would be able to connect directly to the Arduino with a light pull-up resistor on 3.3V. I don't think the Texecom outputs are open collector, which means that they are pulled up to 12V at the panel side when not active. This in turn means that you need to reduce the output voltage via voltage divider or isolate the output voltage using an opto-isolator circuit.

You'll find resources on the Pi/Arduino sites about connecting I/O to higher voltage outputs.

digi outputs/ expander outputs/ keypad outputs are not open collect, the panel outputs are open collector on the Premier/ Premier Elite Range

Hi

Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful.

GalaxyGuy: I am newbie in electronics, so could you please tell me what does open collector mean?

Secureiam: Where is the panel output in premier that is open collector?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The collector is one leg of the transistor. See the image below where the pull up is external to the device. When the circuit is not open collector, this resistor is on the PCB and connected to the +'ve power rail. This means that the voltage that's switched by the output is fixed and not set by the external device.

open-collector.jpg

Do you have an installation manual it be easier to look on that for your panel.

if not i will dig some images out for you tomorrow dont have pc sccess at the minute.

see circled in blue the panel outputs, the wireless 12 and 24 will have OP1 only.

Hi secureiam,

Thanks for that, I think I have that port on texecom premier 24, so I'll use that, what size of pull-up register I would need to bring-down the voltage from 12v to 3.3v? is there any formula to find register value?

Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back