Reading Smart Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a smart Electric meter forced on me about three years ago. All seemed to be OK, reading the meter was relatively simple, Press 9 on the keypad and a series of readings are displayed, the first one was IMP KWH (IMP indicated Import) and then a meter reading, the next readings were totally useless as they were for Export and KVAr import and export and a few other useless numbers. Fine I thought as all I wanted was the Import meter reading. For three years I have accepted this without question. Last year I changed my supplier to E-ON, I was informed from them that as they did not install the meter they could not access the meter reading. No Problem I said, I would give my meter readings monthly. I always work my own bill out just to check on the suppliers calcs. I had a lot of other issues with E-ON, but one of the issues was that they were using a different Electric meter reading than I was giving them which I found odd, but it would all sort itself out at the end of the year as I knew exactly what I was using and therefore what I would be charged. When my tariff was coming to its end, E-ON contacted me with offers and also sent me a bill which showed less electricity usage than I had used as recorded by my smart meter. This made the estimate for my new contract to low, SO I contacted E-ON to ask why they had different usage numbers than I had on my meter. After some investigation and several telephone calls, it transpires they the can read my meters and the readings they get are not the same as I read. A complicated discussion took place which I did not understand because I have no idea how these Smart meters operate but I was told that if I pressed 6 on the meter key pad 4 times, I will see the number they use as a meter reading. This number is substantially lower than the one I get by pressing 9 on the key pad to get the meter reading.
Sorry about all of this waffle but I am totally confused as to what this Smart meter reading is and what E-ON is using as their meter reading.
Has anyone any suggestions as to who I can talk to other than E-ON to determine if E-ON are using the correct meter reading and why the one I have always used appears not to be the meter reading at all.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The reading you should be supplying is the
'TOTAL ACT IMPORT', see:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...ter/how-to-read-your-smart-electricity-meter/

It will be the same figure shown on the in-home display. The energy suppliers won't expect consumers to take a reading from the many options on the meter itself :)

Edit:
Sorry, just re-read your post. It seems as if they are asking for on and off-peak values?

Screenshot_20211119-193927_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks RandomGrinch, the citizens advice is what I have always done to get a meter reading ie Pressing the Keypad 9 button., since transferring to E-ON, they use a reading which is not the one I see for Total Actual Import, they are using another one which is obtained from pressing 6 key, four times. This number is referred to as IMP RO1, the display then progresses through numerous other readings relating to RO2, RO3 etc to R14. This is where my confusion arises. I get no sense out of E-ON regarding this reading which is different to the one I get by using the instructions indicated by Citizens advice. I have no idea now as who to get some advice from.

Hi,

Sorry, I just edited my post above.
It looks like E-on are taking either the peak or off-peak values for your bill. This would be quite strange if you don't pay two rates!

Sponsored Links
OP - Is this a 'Secure' manufactured meter? If so, and you do NOT have off peak, nor anything feeding in - then 9 gives you the correct number of Kwh consumed and needed by your supplier - less the number of Kwh it recorded when you last moved suppliers.

OP - Is this a 'Secure' manufactured meter? If so, and you do NOT have off peak, nor anything feeding in - then 9 gives you the correct number of Kwh consumed and needed by your supplier - less the number of Kwh it recorded when you last moved suppliers.
That is certainly my understanding and indeed that is the reading I have been trying in vane to give E-ON but they insist on billing me with this other strange number.
I had a couple of very long telephone calls with E-ON's meter technical guy, I even emailed them a picture of the 9 key meter reading but they still came back with a load of gobbl-de-gook which I did not begin to understand as I have no idea how these devices operate or what all of the registers and numbers represent, but the E-ON guy assured me that they are reading the correct number. There bill to me is based on this number and the bill identifies the reading as and 'Actual' reading and not a customer reading or an estimated reading.
I would leave it at that but if I change suppliers, my new supplier will get the start reading from E-ON and that new supplier will, I think, then use the 9 Key derived number and in an instant I will get a bill from the new supplier based on the 9 Key and see an instant usage of well over 1000 kwh. Obviously the meter readings are the suppliers responsibility but that does not absolve me of paying for what I have actually used. I just cannot get E-ON to answer my question to my satisfaction/understanding.
What on earth can I do to get this anomaly resolved?
I am certain E-ON are using the wrong register from my meter as a basis for my bills.

You haven't answered my three questions - Is it a Secure manufactured meter (it will say on the meter and the remote display) ?
Are you on any sort of off peak tariff?
Are you on a feedin system (solar panel or wind generator)?

You haven't answered my three questions - Is it a Secure manufactured meter (it will say on the meter and the remote display) ?
Are you on any sort of off peak tariff?
Are you on a feedin system (solar panel or wind generator)?

Sorry Harry - I got carried away ---
1. The Meter is a Secure Liberty 100 Meter,
2. I am not on any sort Peak Tariff ,
3. I am not on any form of Feed in System

Sorry Harry - I got carried away ---
1. The Meter is a Secure Liberty 100 Meter,
2. I am not on any sort Peak Tariff ,
3. I am not on any form of Feed in System

Same as my system then. E.on must have you on a wrong tariff, or have your address mixed up or meter mixed up with someone else. I'm surprised they didn't notice anything amiss when they first took over your supply. You need to get back onto them and ask to speak to a line manager to get this sorted out properly, or be faced with a massive bill when you next move. Have the meter number to hand when you ring, though it does sound as if they might be reading the correct meter, just the wrong register in the meter.

I agree 100% with everything you say.
I was on the phone for Over 2 hours to an E-ON Metering system expert, I sent photographs of my Meter showing the meter reference identity No. and its screen reading and still this guy came back with a load of Gobble-de-gook which was totally none understandable and with the assurance that they had the right reading and I was in credit as a result. The issue was as far as he was concerned that the meters were installed by SO Energy and originally the meters could not be accessed by E-ON but now they can do it using some meter control authority. All of my protestations about the Meter reading using the 9 Key route was correct but he still was insistent that the Key 6-4 press register was correct.
I have a strong feeling this guy is wrong and that is confirmed by your comments and other contributors. Getting through to the correct department is a nightmare with this E-ON outfit, but I will have to try again armed with the knowledge that you agree with my assessment.
Thanks for your input.

My understanding is they cant chase any amount over 12 months old due to their failings. You could always get ofgem involved.

My understanding is they cant chase any amount over 12 months old due to their failings. You could always get ofgem involved.
OFGEM may be the route to go as clearly E-ON dont seem to have any idea what so ever.
Thanks for your comments

Thank you. This has served to confirm my original intention to avoid smart meters for as long as I possibly can! :D

Thank you. This has served to confirm my original intention to avoid smart meters for as long as I possibly can! :D
I totally agree JBR, I resisted it until my old Disc type 'Steam driven' meter just stopped working and had to replaced and that resulted in the installation of the Smart Meter which was not fit for purpose and not sufficiently reliable or operationally suitable for the market. My view has not changed, the Smart Meters are still not Smart Enough for the market. They were prematurely released or forced onto us by Politicians that did not understand the implication of there implementation.
When the customer cannot reliably read the meter to keep a check on the suppliers, there is something fundamentally wrong with the technology. I am testament to that and the so called supplier technologists are less knowledgable than I am to address the issue, and I am certainly no expert to this technology but I can testify to its unreliability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back