Really tricky kitchen tap replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a small flat my father rents out I discovered today the old kitchen mixer tap spout has broken off. Oddly, it looks like the spout would be replaceable but of course I doubt you'd find anything to replace it with!

There's a 10L unvented water heater under the sink with a serious spaghetti junction of pipework/PRV/vessel etc etc. Old solid tap tails with very limited access. The Ariston 10L heater is about 8 years old I think. It would help access to remove it and one outlet (the hot I think) looks a bit corroded. I don't know exactly what the white plastic couplings are at the outlets of the water heater (incase I want new fittings for the water heater) Anyone?

If I attempt the tap swap I think taking the water heater out would be best. Does a person have to do anything regarding the expansion vessel when everything is connected up again? TIA.

Here's a few pictures A3083A55-DCD0-49A1-B5D6-AA479D0D4DFC.jpegD09B20D0-0D28-4519-9F97-6648AE7E4856.jpeg36B90288-E9CB-4ED7-BBF3-717B4384C597.jpeg2ABDB0BF-6066-4332-82CB-44E1EF5C92CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Might need someone with G3 qualifications to remove the heater.

Sponsored Links
The water heater install is rough as a badgers arse, however the tap change doesn't look too challenging - Even leaving the heater in situ,

Reactions: CBW
For a ten litre vessel you won't need G3 qualification.
The plastic adapters are to attempt to prevent galvanic corrosion in the heater vessel. Keep them.
Apologies, I thought it changed to any litre-age for unvented

Apologies, I thought it changed to any litre-age for unvented
im with you cbw i think the g3 is now that changed a few years ago, pretty sure someone put a link to it in CC

• Thanks
We had changed Baxi back boilers to electric unvented cylinders in a couple of flats that couldn’t be replaced very easily or cost effectively with a gas boiler.

It struck me that so many plumbers don’t have the G3 but they’re all (or at least a lot of them that do Gas work) are happy to install unvented without G3. I asked a few we had quotes from who all brushed over the subject!

As a customer it was OMG difficult to be sure they had the qualification.

The water heater install is rough as a badgers arse, however the tap change doesn't look too challenging - Even leaving the heater in situ,
Access to undo the compression fittings onto the solid tap tails (or to cut any pipework) really isn't too good. If the water heater was out of the way you'd be a bit better off for plumbing in new tap tails. You could get your head into the kitchen unit a bit better to see what you're doing.

Access to undo the compression fittings onto the solid tap tails (or to cut any pipework) really isn't too good.
If access really isn't great, you could consider removing the sink - it might seem like a lot of hassle, but it could be an option.

I raised the question when I re-sat my unvented -

Typically and as usual, the regs are not specific and still don't say 'a qualified/competent person must install'. The understanding seems to be that as far as the new G3 (HWSS) revisions are concerned then nothing has really changed it's more just a rewording. The new provision for unvented HW is that all unvented vessels do now need to follow the new revisions regarding temp and pressure controls, though for vessels of 15L and less, as long as they have the controls incorporated then they meet the requirements and do not need to be notified nor certified.

Therefore it would not need a qualified installer (or 'competent person as they like to say) as they would be the only ones that would certify and notify.

I raised the question when I re-sat my unvented -

Typically and as usual, the regs are not specific and still don't say 'a qualified/competent person must install'. The understanding seems to be that as far as the new G3 (HWSS) revisions are concerned then nothing has really changed it's more just a rewording. The new provision for unvented HW is that all unvented vessels do now need to follow the new revisions regarding temp and pressure controls, though for vessels of 15L and less, as long as they have the controls incorporated then they meet the requirements and do not need to be notified nor certified.

Therefore it would not need a qualified installer (or 'competent person as they like to say) as they would be the only ones that would certify and notify.

That’s interesting cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back