Reaplcing Universal Pump with Positive Head model

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new pump and have a universal 2bar model. The header tank is in the loft about 3 metres above the tank so there should be no impediemtn to replacing this with a regualr Positive Head model? I figure I would put the money saved into a more powerful pump allowing us to run two showers at once instead. But are there any other benefits to universal pumps? More power would be helpful as the delay in getting hot water to the other side of the house can lead up to 2-3 minutes.

Sponsored Links
1. The key height is that of the highest shower head below the cold water storage cistern in the loft. This needs to be equal to or more than a figure specified by the pump manufacturer, often around 600 mm. This represents the un-pumped flow necessary to trigger the flow switch which turns the pump on.
2. Universal pumps are normally capable of pumping hot or cold separately or together. Often positive or negative head pumps (assuming they are twin impeller ones) need to pump both at the same time. This is fine for showers, but can be a problem if baths / basins / WCs are attached, where hot or cold can be run separately.
3. Increasing the power is likely to increase the flow rate, which would clear the cold water out of the pipes to a distant outlet more quickly. However, be aware this may also increas the noise of the water in the pipes, possibly to an unacceptable level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back