Shower pump replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have two Salamander CT50 1.5 bar shower pumps installed in my loft for the main bathroom shower and ensuite. My system is vented and the distance between the bottom of the cold water tank in the loft and the shower heads is around the 600mm mark, probably a little less.
The pumps have been in operation for a number of years and have recently developed leaks etc.
Instead of a straight like for like replacement I was hoping the group would have some recommendations, possible alternative pump models looking at long term reliability, noise levels etc.
I am also not sure as to whether I should be looking at a negative (universal) model, due to the distance between the tank and shower head?
I had considered changing the tank to a pressurised system but I have been advised that due to space limitations this is not an option.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello all,

I have two Salamander CT50 1.5 bar shower pumps installed in my loft for the main bathroom shower and ensuite. My system is vented and the distance between the bottom of the cold water tank in the loft and the shower heads is around the 600mm mark, probably a little less.
The pumps have been in operation for a number of years and have recently developed leaks etc.
Instead of a straight like for like replacement I was hoping the group would have some recommendations, possible alternative pump models looking at long term reliability, noise levels etc.
I am also not sure as to whether I should be looking at a negative (universal) model, due to the distance between the tank and shower head?
I had considered changing the tank to a pressurised system but I have been advised that due to space limitations this is not an option.

Thanks
Leaks from where on the pumps?

Hello just pumps,
The leaks have developed at the flexible connections (pump inlet). I realise that I could look to replace the hoses but I also have an issue of having to drop the shower head to have the pumps operate and I am looking to replace them (if they are original install they have been in service 10 plus years) so we do not see issues for the next x amount of years.

If you have to drop the shower head to start pumps then go for the universal type. Very much doubt they are 10yrs old and noise difference will be minimal. How have the two pumps been piped in on the supply side may I ask or is there an only use one pump at a time policy?

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Just checked and we have been in the property for 7 years and they were installed by the previous owners.
Yes I thought the universal may be the way to go so thanks for that feedback.
So the pumps have their own cold and hot feeds in 22mm, this drops down to 15mm for the flexible connections for the pump.Outlet from the pump is connected to 15mm copper which in turn is then increased to 22mm down to the shower.

As for the use, the ensuite is really the main shower used, minimal usage for the main bathroom. I can see the usage increasing though so again any thoughts on your "is there an only use one pump at a time policy?" would be appreciated.

Thanks

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/shower-pump-replacement.566971/#ixzz6pNxAWvfu

Apologies just checked the hot water is from the top of the hot cylinder and then splits at the top to feed the two showers.

Apologises for the thread drift earlier. To run two showers at the same time can need a lot of water, if you try it and one starts misbehaving in any way then it is losing a supply hence the use one at a time policy being required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back