Rear brakes seized

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
The Rear brakes on my daughters peugeot 206 have locked on.Tried using engine power to releaese but NG. Had noticed a few days before that her h.brake movement when putting h/b level up had a lot of travel and you had to pull h/b level to top to get it to hold thought at the time I thought the cable was slack, since the brakes have locked on the h/b cable tension seems to be tight as soon as you pull the h/b lever up.Is the problem likely to be the cable,how do I fix this.Does the rear drum have to come off.Never really worked on rear brakes before.All ideas???

Sponsored Links
Rattled h/b cable located at bottom of brake drum and brakes freed off.

There's just been a good natter about this one, aand the problem is due to the lining material separating from the shoes and jamming everything up. Its a very common problem on most makes of car. You'll have to get the brake drum off which means removing the centre cap, followed by the staked nut underneath. The drum then comes away complete with the bearing but you may need a puller to shift it. Cheers John

You'll still need to open things up to replace the cable, but if the shoes are genuinely ok then just release them from the backplate and pull them clear. Its a bit fiddly but you can release the cable end without further dismantling. Do one side at a time so you can see how things go.

Sponsored Links
Yep, i agree with John.

Always seems to happen on pugs, but don't know why??

Indeed French cars do seem to suffer more than most with this, but any shoes that have bonded rather than rivetted shoes may have similar problems....I've just had a K11 Micra in with the same. VW always used to use rivetted shoes - wonder if they still do?

dunno......... long time since i've had a dub with drum brakes :LOL:

Back