Peugeot 406 Rear brake problem

When I did my 406 didn't have any real major problems although vehicle seemed to have been neglected in that area!

Removing drums - hole in actual disk, shine torch through and you can release adjuster (although one of mine had seized!). Remove pads and you should be able to remove drum ok. If not remove small bolt and caliper can be moved sufficiently.

Suggestion with this arrangement don't rely on shoe wear to judge if replacement shoes are needed. They don't wear! If they haven't been replaced for a long time, replace them. Common for the lining to come loose after a time.

Replacing shoe springs, yes good idea to use a belt then grind a 'V' into side of flat screwdriver and use as a lever or pair of mole grips to grip spring and use lever to help fitting spring if necessary. This way found it quite easy really.

MOT failures on these: worn rollbar drop links front and rear and top rear tie bars and if you think the rear brakes can be awkward then....

Front ones simply cut nuts off and replace. Rear drops I found easier to use large lever to force actual bar from ball joints then hold ball part with mole grips and a socket on the nut. Might need to remove caliper to get better access. This way found job quite easy.

Rear top tie bars easy to change BUT remember the rear camber is adjustment is the inner bolt assembly. Mark bolt position BEFORE loosening to preserve setting but after replacement the vehicle really needs 4 wheel alignment check otherwise rear tyre wear can show quite quickly.

Sponsored Links
A good post - thanks!
Ever had a front spring snap on a 406?
Broken coil shoots over the strut, and on the one I repaired, took out the tyre, flexible brake pipe, abs wire and finally the CV joint boot :p Oh Joy!
The thing nose dived so quick the crash sensor switch deployed too :eek:
John :)

John that would seem to be an experience I would prefer to miss! Only had my 406 for about 15 months so there is time I suppose.

Next job in the pipeline is replace the indicator switch, once a quick relatively cheap job. Not on these - new switch from Peugeot £300+. Incidently another fairly common MOT fail.

Sponsored Links
Back