rear brake drum removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi... the rear brakes on my 2008 fiesta titanium are making a screeching noise when i brake. i think it's brake dust that's causing it. is it a big job to take off the brake drums and blow the dust out ?
mick.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mick, Had a look in my Fiesta Haynes Manual.
The rear drum and wheel bearing hub are one piece. This means you would have to remove the bearing retaining nut and remove the drum/bearing assembly. This nut is very tight 173lbf ft! and also should not be reused. You may also need a puller to remove the drums (as the bearings come off with them) This may damage the bearings. It is also possible to damage the brake shoes and springs in the process!
Whilst not beyond the scope of an experienced DIY mechanic you have to remember your brakes are probably the most important system on a car. If you are in any doubt I would leave it to a professional mechanic.
Its probably best to budget for worst case scenario.I.E new bearings and brake shoes.
Your local library may have a Haynes Manual for your car, or buy one from a car accessory shop I think they are about £20. Worth a look.
TTFN

Hi Mick, Had a look in my Fiesta Haynes Manual.
The rear drum and wheel bearing hub are one piece. This means you would have to remove the bearing retaining nut and remove the drum/bearing assembly. This nut is very tight 173lbf ft! and also should not be reused. You may also need a puller to remove the drums (as the bearings come off with them) This may damage the bearings. It is also possible to damage the brake shoes and springs in the process!
Whilst not beyond the scope of an experienced DIY mechanic you have to remember your brakes are probably the most important system on a car. If you are in any doubt I would leave it to a professional mechanic.
Its probably best to budget for worst case scenario.I.E new bearings and brake shoes.
Your local library may have a Haynes Manual for your car, or buy one from a car accessory shop I think they are about £20. Worth a look.
TTFN
thanks for that ....think i'll take to kwikfit
mick

Not really a big problem mate - wheel off, handbrake off, centre grease cap removed, undo the large nut......give the drum a thwack with a hammer on the side as you spin it, and try to pull it clear - most drums come away like that.
The bearings will stay in the drum, no problem there.
If its really stubborn a puller may be needed, but I wouldn't expect so in an 08 car.
If the Fiesta is like the Focus, there are 4 nuts that can be removed at the back of the hub, and the whole assembly comes away, leaving the shoes on the backplate. Most of us don't bother with this method!
John :)

Sponsored Links
thanks for that ....think i'll take to kwikfit
mick

If you want it to be really expensive take it there, you will get a nice new set of tyres, a new exhaust, four new shockers and anything else you want to be duped into..... a local garage is the best bet if you dont want to do it yourself

No one can fit you up better than a quick fit-up fitter... :LOL:

Not really a big problem mate - wheel off, handbrake off, centre grease cap removed, undo the large nut......give the drum a thwack with a hammer on the side as you spin it, and try to pull it clear - most drums come away like that.
The bearings will stay in the drum, no problem there.
If its really stubborn a puller may be needed, but I wouldn't expect so in an 08 car.
If the Fiesta is like the Focus, there are 4 nuts that can be removed at the back of the hub, and the whole assembly comes away, leaving the shoes on the backplate. Most of us don't bother with this method!
thanks for that john............had a go myself. it was quite easy, just two grub screws holding the brake drum on. drum came off easy.
mick

Thanks for the update, Mick ;)
So Ford are back to using a separate drum and hub assembly, it seems - gets my approval though!
Those screws can be a real pain if they rust in - personally I put coppaslip on the threads and heads and do them up only finger tight.

Appologies for the misleading post. Would appear as mentioned they've went back to separate drums which the manual doesn't mention. Would agree this is a much better idea. Glad as I've got an 08 Fiesta too. Not had to look at the rear brakes yet but when I do it will be a lot easier. :D

Sponsored Links
Back