Peugeot 406 "brake fluid low" warning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The "brake fluid low" warning on my 406 regularly comes on, but the fluid level is correct. The warning is not an indicator on the instrument cluster but is part of the radio display.... instead of displaying the station/frequency, it often displays "brake fluid low" when I apply the handbrake.

I have tried disconnecting the level sensor in the brake fluid reservoir and also shorting the contacts, but the display still comes on. I've had a quick look at the wiring loom but could see no obvious problems. The Haynes manual gives no clues... Has anyone any ideas what the problem could be??

I would just ignore it but the display is accompanied by a wretched bleeping!

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
As above, the light usually runs the break pad wear too.
Youll probably find that one of the wires has come off the brake pad and is earthing out somewhere, or maybe it's doing it's job (highly unlikely!) and the pads are worn.
if it's a wire off, just unplug the thing!

Thanks for the suggestions...

Just to re-iterate. it's not a warning lamp in the instrument panel that comes on.... the Front Brake pad wear light and the handbrake/brake fluid level warning light do not come on.

It's the radio display that comes up with the written message: "Brake fluid level low" accompanied by the bleeping. This occurs whenever the handbrake is on and the engine is running. I had the front pads and discs replaced approx 6000 miles ago, so it's not pad wear, and the fluid level is fine.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If it only comes on when you apply the hand brake...then start there and check the switch and wiring,is the "handbrake on" light working ?
Is the low brake pad/fluid level bulb on the instrument panel working ?
Have you checked the hand brake pads/shoes ?

On a lot of modern cars the radio display is also used to flash up warning messages,so check every thing on the braking system before assuming it is a faulty switch/circuit ect.

;)

Problem solved... :D

thanks ^neo^ for your suggestion that the brake pad wear indicators are part of the circuit... I checked the connectors to the front pads and that cured it; I "assumed" that as the display showed low fluid then it would be low fluid!! (assume = make an ASS out of U & ME!)

Jonny, good advice... thankyou.

Hey, this worked for me too.

To be more precise, there is two small push connectors coming from each calipher to the wheel arch. I just sprayed in some wd40 and moved the connector in and out a couple of times. It took a couple of goes to remove the warning but didn't take long. I took the wheels of but could possibly be done with them on.

cheers

Back