Brake fluid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help, was trying to check the brake fluid (a brake fluid level low light comes on sometimes when I apply the handbrake)on my old peugeot 406 and I have put my finger through a seal under the screw cap. The brake fluid level is fine but have I broken the whole thing now by damaging the seal?

Sponsored Links
No, its a seal to keep any moisture and grot out though, together with letting air in, so replace the cap in your own good time and all will be well. You can pinch one from a scrappy if you feel inclined - your Peugeot dealer won't have one in! Cheers John

Thats great milli9ons of thanks I thought I'd broken my car, but soz for being thick do I just rip the old seal out? And then how do I get a new seal to stick?

The round rubber seal normally just sits in the cap and stays there...it doesn't often come out. New caps come complete with the seal. If you're unhappy about things, just wrap a poly bag around the master cylinder reservoir and secure it with an elastic band. More importantly, has the low level light gone out? there are a few things that can make it come on. :)

Sponsored Links
The light only comes on every now and again so I was just checking the fluid level. The seal I have put my finger through was inside the brake fluid chamber after I had removed the cap. I have dislodged it but it remains fixed for half its diameter. As for wrapping a poly bag around things I haven't a clue! Could all my fluid evaporate or something? Should I take it to a garage?

brake fluid is notoriously hygroscopic (absorbs moisture from the atmosphere easily) which is why you need to get the plastic bag around the reservoir and get a new cap sooner rather than later.

There are a few reasons why the brake warning lamp could flash - low brake fluid, obviously, (the level of which should lower very very slowly), a faulty switch on the hand brake lever, or the wear indicators on the front disc pads - doing their job for once. :)

Back