Rear extension 6m neighbour objecting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my semi-detached neighbour has had a 3m single storey rear extension for 15 years and I now wish to do a 6m one under permitted development. I reckon they will object due to 'loss of amenity', however what is the probability of my proposal being declined? At the end of the day they will only see 3m of our wall, live I've had all these years.

Sponsored Links
If any neighbour objects, the council will look at the proposal and come to a decision themselves.
They will only consider the issue of amenity, and as your neighbour already has a 3m extension, it's quite possible
that they would conclude that there was no loss of amenity.

A big factor in general is the orientation of the sun with overshadowing being strong grounds for refusal on rear extensions.

I think the problem is when they don't get much sun plus your extension would cast more shadow. Which hopefully isn't the case.

If they have a wide rear window that helps too I think because the overshadow effect is reduced.

Whether it will be overbearing/enclosing for the neighbour is probably a greater concern than potential overshadowing.

The short answer is shove the application in and see what happens. You can appeal if prior approval is refused.

Are you submitting full drawings or just a block plan? Full drawings would give the neighbours and the Council more certainty as to what is proposed. If you just put a block plan in they will have to consider the ptontial 'worst case' design you could build based on the plan and your measurements.

Sponsored Links
I was in a similar situation,
Neighbor has an existing 2.75m extension. I applied for 6m, neighbor objected due to loss of light etc.
Reapplied with 5.75m (3m longer then neighbors), same objection but council approved as there was no more loss of light.

In my case, the sun rises at the front of my house, on my side, but sets on the back, on the neighbors side. so realistically no loss of light, but a gain of a higher wall in place of a short wooden fence.

Best i can suggest is if your not time pushed to get plans approved, and your architect is willing, submit 6m, if rejected submit a bit smaller...

You don't pay to submit, your only really paying for the time for architect to draw/submit, and time each one takes to apply and get a response.

May also be worth speaking to the neighbor and see what they may be happy with! After my objections, i spent time with the neighbour discussing the finish and agreed with them as to what they would be happy with... (assuming you want to stay in the good books with them!) eg a bodged brick finish as the builder had no access vs a nice clean finish as they had access and time to do the job properly, and clean up after themselves...

Light isn't (or isn't just) sunlight. Daylight's just as important - hence the '45 degree' rule(-of-thumb)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back