Rearranging Bathroom, are these plans feasible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My bathroom is very small, 1.2m wide by approx 2.5m long. I believe I can rearrange it to make more effective use of the space but this would involve moving the toilet. See below (badly) hand drawn plan of how it is just now.

As you can see the toilet is alongside the bath, this is the issue, its a space saver bath but even so, doing a sit down job on the toilet is not much fun... ;). The waste pipe comes out the back of the toilet, goes down a flexi pipe to floor level where it goes through the outside wall and down the cast iron waste pipe.

I would like to re-arrange the room to look like this...

My only concern is the run, or lack there of from the waste pipe. I would ideally have a built in unit housing the sink and toilet against the wall. The existing sink drain pipe and supplies to the taps already run along the floor against that wall and under the bath. From what I see there are two options for routing a waste pipe...

The floor joists run across the room, but the hole through the wall is above the floor anyway so I don't know if this matters? You would get a slight run on it, about 2 - 3'' maybe and the total distance would be about +/-2m depending on which of the above options (if any) are suitable.

Can anyone advise if this amount of flat waste pipe would be ok, or would I just be asking for blockages?

Sponsored Links
Asking for trouble with soil pipe.
Sani flow option?

Small bath may be best idea.

I would move hinges on door to open other way as well.

Thanks, yeah I feared that. Its a weird shaped space saver bath at the moment but it doesn't really help, the widest bit is where your legs are at if you are sitting. Do you get baths narrower than 700mm? I can't seem to see any.

Haven't looked at any saniflow etc ideas, what's peoples consensus on them?

I know making job bigger ,no way of taking a bit out of next room then re stud wall.Did the same at a property last week
I would avoid sani flow was just option.

Sponsored Links
Yes could do that, but have more long term plans that would involve that room (stairs and loft conversion). I'm just looking at a cheap and easy way of having a more practical bathroom for the next few years.

I didn't think that would really help, a shower unit would be at least as wide as a bath and would look strange against the back wall as there's a window there. I suppose I could put a shower in the middle of the room so its where the other end of the bath is just now, that would take it away from the toilet, but I'm guessing I would have to shimmy past it to get to the toilet.

In response to the earlier question, yes I will re-hang the door so it opens out the way.

You want a minimum 1:100 fall on the soil, ideally 1:40, especially if there's bends involved. If need be it may require you to renew the stack in plastic to allow the height differential to get a adequate fall to new pan position.

I'd rather do that than fit a Saniflo. In fact I think I'd rather pull my own teeth out than fit a macerator. A few folks seem to like them, but do not fit one if women may go near that toilet, there is no other available toilet in the building, or you have an ounce of common sense. Or you will regret it. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back