Reasonable quote for new alarm?

Forget the monitoring, the police won't turn up.

Get a bells only system with a dialer to let you know of an activation.

£450 for the lot. No monitoring fees; and maintenance if you want it and not if you don't.

I don't think the company who have quoted could it it for that. I specced up the kit and it was around £300 on its own!

For the cost of the maintenance and monitoring I'm not too bothered. It was just the install cost I was concerned about. However, they're getting around £300/400 for the install which in hindsight seems reasonable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Having thought about it it does seem like a decent price (especially the monitoring and maintenance) so I probably will go with them. They're quite a big company in the area - been going over 20 years and have over 6000 customers.

I've looked on NSI for any other local installers but unfortunately there's not many others in the area. However, ill see if they could quote anyway.
Hint
Try yeovil and look on the SSAIB website.

Forget the monitoring, the police won't turn up.

Get a bells only system with a dialer to let you know of an activation.

£450 for the lot. No monitoring fees; and maintenance if you want it and not if you don't.

I don't think the company who have quoted could it it for that. I specced up the kit and it was around £300 on its own!

For the cost of the maintenance and monitoring I'm not too bothered. It was just the install cost I was concerned about. However, they're getting around £300/400 for the install which in hindsight seems reasonable.

Better off with Texecom Excel. £250 is the going rate for an install. Are they re-running the cables? Or just changing the bits at the end? £150 if they are.

I find it amusing your dictating someone else\'s business model.
Telling what should and should not be charged, saying without hesitation that the Police will never arrive. They certainly will not on an unconfirmed signal (Code 3) but a confirmed (Code7) they will in 99.9% of the cases and 100% in the case of a HUD/Panic Alarm.
Try doing the poster a favour and use facts not how you think the world spins.

Sponsored Links
I found out about the monitoring phone call costs today. The number is an 0871 so would be chargeable. However, for a one off fee of £20 this could b changed to a local rate so therefore be in my call allowance.

I've ordered a phone line with sky and they said they'll have to keep me on BT's kit at the Exchange as there's isn't compatible with monitored alarms apparently.

but a confirmed (Code7) they will in 99.9% of the cases

Thats a ridiculous claim.
It's illegal to claim the police WILL turn up so to suggest a 99.9% attendance is equally as misleading.

Statistically thats would suggest in every 1000 activations they would attend 999 of them.... :LOL:

I am sure the police do respond to reports of burglaries but lets not get all romantic and dewy eyed about it...
It is more likely that they will arrive after the offenders have fled rather than in the act. The notion that they will arrive mob handed and rugby tackle some scroat carryying a flat screen to the applause of all around is a bit hopeful considering the actual timescale of the average burglary.

I used to live in a village where police arrival to any event was 30-40 minutes.

Who wants the police to turn up? The first thing they'll do is fill their cars up with the rest of the loot.
It was a cop that told me that btw.

but a confirmed (Code7) they will in 99.9% of the cases

Thats a ridiculous claim.
It's illegal to claim the police WILL turn up so to suggest a 99.9% attendance is equally as misleading.

Statistically thats would suggest in every 1000 activations they would attend 999 of them.... :LOL:

I am sure the police do respond to reports of burglaries but lets not get all romantic and dewy eyed about it...
It is more likely that they will arrive after the offenders have fled rather than in the act. The notion that they will arrive mob handed and rugby tackle some scroat carryying a flat screen to the applause of all around is a bit hopeful considering the actual timescale of the average burglary.

I used to live in a village where police arrival to any event was 30-40 minutes.
mfd290, as you obviously don't know how police signalling works in to-days highly regulated alarm industry I suggest you keep quiet.

You seriously think wired1up is a police officer, because that's the impression you give? Well he's not, so he can make any suggestion he likes to the attendance police make to CONFIRMED ALARM SYSTEMS, (Code3 + Code7). Do you understand that? No, of course you don't.

It is rather amusing MDF can come and go as he wishes and try and destroy others reputations and business models when he has been in and out of jobs for years.

The police figures quoted are from stats kept and can be inspected if needed by NACOSS/SSAIB or ISO if they want.
How a person with no knowledge of reliable systems and communications protocols can suggest they are inefficient is quite frankly hilarious. The same as the other member here who says how much a system should cost, based on him using £60 worth of equipment and taking a day to install it :D

James the company will make a loss on the kit and install and make a profit on the maintenance and monitoring. At the agreed prices, go to ADT and ask for the same and see the difference. They fit even cheaper but tie you in longer and make the profit that way.

Remember your buying from a business, the aim to make money and provide a profit. Does Joe and the MDF bloke do it for nothing?
NO, they do it for profit, but are not going to divulge their margins now are they?

So who knows what the average police response time is then?

Is this with alarm siren active or silent? (I don't do monitored)

Here is the official document, http://www.ciaalarms.co.uk/download...icy-Police-Response-Security-Systems-2011.pdf

Some forces require silent bells some Instant.
You mention you do not do monitored, that means your not doing an audit trail either and have no idea of how your systems are responded to. With ISO I can even see what happens with non monitored or just systems with diallers/sms.

Read the document, see what they say. Then in the real world risk a "one strike" and see how fast a confirmed (3 and 7) or a code 2 is responded to.
Then get really clever and see what a code 1 produces.

You dont know, do you. You wont.
So please stop demeaning things you and a few others know nothing about.

Don't be silly, an alarm is a fancy door bell. Fitted over a thousand domestic. Not interested in commercial. A silent alarm means you get burgled and if you are lucky plod rolls up hours later and gives you a crime number.

That's great security that is. In fact it is NO security.

I've not personally seen plod or scientific attend a domestic alarm in decades.

mfd290, as you obviously don't know how police signalling works in to-days highly regulated alarm industry I suggest you keep quiet.

You seriously think wired1up is a police officer, because that's the impression you give? Well he's not, so he can make any suggestion he likes to the attendance police make to CONFIRMED ALARM SYSTEMS, (Code3 + Code7). Do you understand that? No, of course you don't.
Oh please . . . Why should I keep quiet?
I do understand very well.

Let me just ask TWO easy questions . .
1. Can alarm companies advertise that their approved installations will get a guaranteed police response?
2. - If not , why not?

My guess here is that you won't answer the above questions because it will expose the alarm businesses misleading marketing

Did you write that when you were drunk?

They don't have to turn up. They don't turn up to domestic installs. Jeweller shops? Yes. Terraced house in suburbia? No.

If they have a silent alarm the crook has robbed and gone. If they have audible alarm - crook has run off.

Why SHOULD they bother coming out? To give a crime number?

If you know so much about it then what is the average response time?

If you know so much about it then what is the average response time?
I am a keyholder for a property and the police response time from being notified via the monitoring service has been officers on site in under ten minutes on the two occasions in the past 5 years that they were needed after dark. Large private house in its own grounds about 7 miles from the police station.

For another nearby property ( for which I am NOT a keyholder ) has a silent alarm and police arrived to find intruders about to drive off with stolen property. Arrests and convictions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back