New Alarm System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have got a local company round to give a quote for installing an alarm. We had agreed that I will install the wiring and they will terminal and commision. The have quoted £2200 for the below equipment, cabling and labour to install the following:

1x Honeywell Galaxy G2-20 Alarm system
1x 8 Zone Expander unit
2x Control Panels
1x 5 pack of Promimity Tags
3x Magnetic Reed Door Contact Switch
4x Optex RX-40QZ 12m Range PIR
9x Menvier M12 4 in 1 Optical Smoke Detector
1x Roller Shutter Door Contact Switch
1x Bellbox
1x Dummy Bell box

For them to do the complete install it will be an extra £640. What do you reckon to the costings as I think is a on the pricey side??

I have been thinking of doing it myself (along with an eletrical rewire), with a Texicon alarm system. I assume they are fairly easy to fit - by have never done one before - what do you think?? Do you get the full install manual with them as you can't download from their website.

Thanks

Adam.

Sponsored Links
Also, I have heard that as the smokes don't have inbuilt sounds (they rely on the external sounder) they will not pass building regs.

Is this correct?

Should I get 240v powered from the lighting/their own circuit instead?

Thanks

Adam.

best ask your local bco, but in most cases the bco will say they will NOT accept smoke detectors on an intruder alarm.

as for quote, wasnt ADT was it, get some more quotes, good panel, but a lot of £, aalso ask the people who did quoyr how much with out smoke detectors, since you now dont want them

breezer said:
best ask your local bco, but in most cases the bco will say they will NOT accept smoke detectors on an intruder alarm.

as for quote, wasnt ADT was it, get some more quotes, good panel, but a lot of £, aalso ask the people who did quoyr how much with out smoke detectors, since you now dont want them

Na - it wasn't ADT - a (what I assume was) good local company.

Yeah - just got my OSG and read up on it. I am suprised the guy didn't make it more clear to me while he was here tbh. I have also read the documentation he sent through and it does state that the alarm does not cover the BS5839 standards. What is the point of even having it as a feature of an intruder alarm - other than the external sounder. But even then, if you get a fire system, you can have external sounders anyway!

I agree - I will get him to re-quote for the alarm without the smokes

I didn't see it in the regs, but is there any requirement for fire resistant cabling for either mains powered/system types in domestics?

Also (stupid question alert), if you set one off an all sound, how do you shut them all up? :)

Ad.

Sponsored Links
stand alone you dont.

3 core and eartyh is fine, since its not a fire alarm

as for the other guy, why should he tell you they dont comply with building regs? its more money for them.

as for the bells ringing if your alarm calls an ac it will notify them.
BUT, they hsaave to call site first

imagine this

genuine fire, smoke detecors go off, arc call you first.

hello this is xyz arc would you like a fire engine?

yes of course i want a fire engine, my house is on fire!

while you are waiting for them to call you, if you can find the ohone to answer it, you could have gone outside and used your mobile, which is quicker and safer

other thing alarm co wont tell you is if you are asleep there is no g'tee you will hear alarm going off, since it is not covered by any fire type regs what so ever

what do want that for? its a FIRE alarm, BCO may like it but may not aprove it.

first you had 9 smoke detectors now only 2?

also it (the kit) does not comply to regs as it only has one sounder

I will purchase more detectors for it - this is just the base kit. I will probably purchase all separately, depending on cost.

I have read through the regs in the 16ed and it states that the fire system needs to be interlinked (which it is) and a sounder needs to be located in such a place to wake any sleeping persons.

So 1 sounder located outside the bedrooms (all doors are within 3m of each other) will be fine.

yes but you also have to have one sounder on each level, incase its not time for bed

breezer said:
yes but you also have to have one sounder on each level, incase its not time for bed

as far as I am aware, it doesn't specifically state this, only that at least one detector should be on each floor.

Quote from the guide states: '....and sufficient sounders to be clearly audible throughout the building.' The sounder will be loud enough to be heard in the house :)

We install domestic fire alarms (mainly in student houses)

Normal system:

1 smoke detector in every bedroom
1 smoke detector on every level of hall / landing
1 smoke detector in all other habitible rooms (lounge / dining etc)
1 heat detector in the kitchen
1 manual call point on every level
1 sounder in every bedroom
1 sounder in all habitible rooms
1 sounder in kitchen

its your house, your choice, but you should use a db meter to check and what if it fails?

breezer said:
its your house, your choice, but you should use a db meter to check and what if it fails?

I suppose I can fit an extra sounder on the ground of our 3 storey house - that should be no biggy. Although the house is over 3 floors, the floor dimensions are 5x8m - so its not that big. We have:

Gnd Floor - Integral Garage, Lobby, Hall, Study, Utility room, WC
1st - Lounge, Kitchen-Diner
2nd - 3x Bedrooms, Bathroom

So: 1 control panel, 8 detectors (various as required), 2 sounders (Gnd Floor, 2nd Floor). I personally this is over kill for a domenstic property anyway, so as long as the actual alarm meets the required standards, shouldn't the BCO pass it with flying colours??

Ad.

nope. it doesnt compy.

what you suggest does not comply to a fire alarm (as RF Lighting pointed out and as i already said, you must have a sounder in each sleeping area /room) yours doesnt

BCO want smoke detectors with integral sounders, all interconected, then fit smoke detectors with integral sounders, all interconected.

or ask them, but i bet they wont accept yoor proposal, as i have said i have seen smoke detectors fitted to intruder alarms, they don't accept them.

If its for you personal residence then the BCO wont be interested, will he not only get involved if the property will be let?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back