Reassembling shower valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you please help me readable/ reseat this shower valve please (see photo’s), or at least explain how it works so I can try and figure it out myself. The shower type and valve are shown here. The mechanism has become stiff so took apart to add silicone grease. I’ve done this a few times before, the most recent two times including this I’ve had problems getting the on/off working, I did it by luck last time, but this time I’m well into double figures and it just will not work.

Basically the two brass parts with the o-rings screw together - it’s these that become stiff so undone them to apply grease. When I screw these together at various positions and then add the main sealing nut on top, whoever I turn the water back on, the shower is ‘on’. I then proceed to turn it off, which works, but then I can never turn it back on again because (I am pretty sure), the two brass parts have come apart in the process of turning it off. I’ve tried screwing it in at different points to no avail. I’m not sure if screwing on the sealing nut is also causing it to unscrew as well but there appears to be no way of preventing this.

Photo 1 is the sorts screwed fully together, photo 2 screwed half way-ish. When you screw a bit further they come apart and can never screw back together within the mechanism, only when I take it apart again.

Seems the water pressure is key to getting this working as well? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4556.jpeg
    IMG_4556.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4555.jpeg
    IMG_4555.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
After some more faffing about, I’ve come to the conclusion the valve is knackered and needs replacing. Seems as soon as the water pressure gets up, the valve comes apart. Shouldn’t need to set it in a certain position, should just be plug and play. Off to eBay to try and find a cheaper part !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back