Grohe Grotherm 2000 Thermostat Repair Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

For those that may have followed my other post I thought I'd start a new topic, perhaps to help others in the same predicament as me.

In a nutshell, I have removed my Grotherm 2000 thermostat cartridge and it came out in two parts. The spring in the top part can be moved by pressing with a small screwdriver on the brass plug (held in place with a circlip) but what was puzzling me was why it came our in two parts to begin with?

If I screw the two parts together the top brass plug becomes more and more recessed into the fitting. The action of the regulating nut from looking inside it should be to depress the spring thus causing the two parts of the body to open up presumably to let more cold water in?

My problem as you may know is a lack of hot water.

I thought I'd give it an experiment and screwed the two parts together so that the brass plug was about 3mm recessed and tried again. This time without the regulator nut on I got warm water. If I add the regulator nut and turn clockwise I end up with cold water.

This is where I'm now totally confused. If the two parts of the body are together then there should be very hot water and as they spread apart it adds cold water, correct? If that is the case then why when the brass plug is at its top most position do I only get cold?

The back part of the cartridge has a brass threaded rod of which inserted is a solid brass rod which can be slid in and out (it has some grease on it). The fact that its threaded would indicate to me that the two parts do need to be screwed together but by how much? The more you screw them together the more the brass plug recesses.

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Would really appreciate any advice here as really don't want to spend £100 right now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back