Grotherm 1000 mixer valve disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been trying all day to fit a grotherm 1000 mixer shower. I fear I may have bitten of more than I could chew (me being a bit hopeless at DIY) anyway the shower was fitted and looked great....until I turned the water on and water started leaking out of the mixer valve and down the wall. The shower came with no fixing brackets so I took the entire unit to my local bath and shower store who reassured me that all I would need is the 2 x vado shower elbows they sold me and I could screw the valve straight to them. Now although the shower fixes to the wall I fail to see how it could possibly be water tight, all that came with the elbows was a brass ring. The pipes are exposed, all I need is to be able to secure the valve to the wall without causing a flood. Any suggestions or should I box the thing back up and hope for a refund?

Sponsored Links
As mush as I would love for somebody to have done the job for me, the previous shower gave up and there is a limited budget to replace it.

Sponsored Links
Did you fit the olive in the fittings ?
Why are your pipes sticking out so far ?

I fitted the olive. Although I'm not certain it is fitted correctly (I can't see any other way it could go) it doesn't seem to be serving much of a purpose. Pipes will push back

The dogleg fittings won't fit the type of wall fitting your using.
What make wall fittings are they you have fitted ? i don't reconise them.
The pipes should be tight gripped by the olive you have fitted, thats why it leaks.
Have you done them up tight ? The olive should grip the pipe.

They are vado fittings. Should I just be able to fit the olive and then screw on the mixer valve? Which is what I did but the shower leaked. I had convinced myself I had to buy something else. Should the olive just sit around the end of the pipe? It fits around the pipe snug like a wedding ring on a finger.

When you say "do up" the olive how do I do that? It is just a brass ring. I have pushed it on to the pipe but I haven't done anything more to it

You should have a wall plate with 2 screw holes in - Which i can see.
Then you should have an olive.
Then you should have another part with an internal and external thread which screws on after the olive.
Then the bar mixer fits on.

You pic is blurred so can see it clearly.
Have you fitted the olive then the sleeve that screws on that the mixer screws on to ?

I don't have all that. I have the wall plate which you can see and I have the olive but I don't have anything that screws into the wall plate with an external thread for the valve. I fitted the wall plates. Fitted the olive to the pipe and then screwed the bar to the external thread on the wall plate.

The bar mixer shouldn't beable to screw on without the sleeve cause they are different size threads.
Should be 3 sections not including the chrome covers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back