Rebated Door Casings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I am fitting new doors and casings.
The old casings were rebated so I am replacing with similar.
The rebate is approx 38mm and the doors are supposed to be 35 but nearer to 33mm.
I presume that these are standard casings and doors but I am not sure about fitting the doors.
Which is the best way to fit them - should I set them in against the rebate with the front face of the door set slightly recessed from the front face of the casing or should I have the front face of the door flush with the front face of the casing which will then leave a gap between the back face of the door and the rebate? or somewhere in between?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Granny

Sponsored Links
the hinge or butte is generally fitted with only the axel visible from outside the re-bate.

when hanging doors the hinge is placed upside down onto the door or casing until the barrel or axel stops it.

you then draw round the hinge and cut out the material.

once the door is ready to hang just use one screw in each hinge to test it.

if it does not fit the re-bate properly on the hinge side,you can always remove a little bit more material from the casing hinge cut outs, to edge the door snug.

don't make it too tight or it will bind.

hope this makes sense.

Hi Noseall
Thanks I think I will be O.K. regarding the hinges I see you refer to hinge cutouts on the casing as well as the door - I have seen some instructions on hanging doors which say you don't need to cut out for the hinges in the casing but I think the door will be more secure with cutouts in the casing and the door.
I am more concerned about the fact that the door is thinner than the 38mm rebate it will sit into.
I have no experience hanging doors - wonder how best to fit when the door is thinner than the rebate.

Granny

Sponsored Links
OhGranny said:
I have seen some instructions on hanging doors which say you don't need to cut out for the hinges in the casing but I think the door will be more secure with cutouts in the casing and the door.
On terraced properties round here that seems to have been more or less standard practice - probably because it is quicker. So replacements are always done to match.

OhGranny said:
I am more concerned about the fact that the door is thinner than the 38mm rebate it will sit into. I have no experience hanging doors - wonder how best to fit when the door is thinner than the rebate.
Is the rebate worked in the solid or applied? many casings are made by nailing two pieces if timber together to form a rebate:

Door_1c.jpg

as opposed to the worked rebate which is wasteful of materials:

Door_1a.jpg

If yours is the applied type it should be possible to remove the architrave on one side, gently pry off the applied stopper and nail new ones in place, same thickness but wider. Personally I'd try to find a solution like glueing-in a square section beading or using a thick puls draught excluder if possible. Much less mess and work

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back