Rebated door mortice lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a 5 lever mortice lock to a rebated door (marries to another rebated door), I have seen rebate kits but none of these is the correct size and will mean making the job more complicated. I am considering chiselling the rebate back and glueing a piece of wood to the stile to bring this level with the outer edge of the door then, once this has set, drill and rebate the mortice lock as usual.

Is this practical or is there a better solution? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
not entirely sure what you mean but would be surprised that you can't get a rebate kit and lock to fit your door.
how thick is your door and how thick is the rebate, wwhy does your rebate kit not fit.

I believe they do difference sizes rebate doors for difference thickness door and I'm wondering if you have a wrong size rebate lock although some of them used come with a packing kits

Thanks for the replies, further details are:-

The door is 40mm thick, the horizontal depth of the rebate from the closing edge is 11mm , the vertical depth of the rebate from the outside of the door is 19mm (so 21mm from inside). The middle of the vertical door depth is at 20mm so the screws to hold the lock in place would be almost bang on where the rebate ends i.e. fresh air.

The rebate kits I have seen do not appear to cater for this as there will still not be anything to screw to, hence the idea of cutting into the leading edge of the rebated door and glueing a piece of wood wide enough to drill and fit the lock into. I am hoping that the glued wood plus the screws through this into the door will provide enough strength.

Sponsored Links
Don't quite see where your comeing from you seem to have a bog standard pair of rebated doors.
You need a standard mortice lock and your rebate kit should consist of:
The keep wich should be cut centred to the inner door, this will involve chiseling out some of the step in the rebate ie the bit innermost to the door. and chisseling a recess the thickness of the metal into the rebate of this door.
The lock should be centred on the door this will involve again chiseling out some of the step in the rebate , this time the outermost part of the door the lock is then fitted with two plastic packers(should come with the rebate kit) the rebate kit cover is then fitted and you screw through into the wood of the door.
The alternative to this is there will be a "c" shaped metal block that goes behind the plate of the lock and the locks normal decorative face plate is fitted over that.

This is the first type I described http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/category/category.jsp?CATID=171787

This is the second
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=5502

Go to any half decent locksmiths and they will sell you a lock and the correct rebate kit to go with it

Chappers, thanks for the info. I misinterpreted the use of the rebate kit as just covering the exposed side of the lock for cosmetic purposes. I didn't realise the kit would be centred, I will be off to the locksmith to get said item. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back