reboarding an old stud wall for tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old stud wall which I need to get in to in order that I can install a light switch. The current wall is a couple of inches thick, consists of a timber frame with horizontal wooden slats covered in a hairy bonding material, and then a thin top smooth skim.

So I'm going to need to cut a section out about half way up to to the ceiling in order that I can tread a cable inside the wall. The wall will be tiled, so I am a bit concerned about just covering the hole up with plasterboard as when it comes to replacing tiles it will bring the board off with it.

Could I use another type of board instead, such as plyboard or MDF?

Sponsored Links
What condition is the current plaster in, If you are going to tile an old lath and plastered wall, is the wall surface suitably strong enough to hold the tiles.
If the wall is sound, you can board over, then skim the board, this will protect it from tile removal damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back