Stud wall cuboard to finish flush with existing plaster wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure the title says it all but I am looking to fit a door frame and stud wall to make a cupboard and box in / hide a central heating boiler. The "cupboard" is in the corner of a room, the recess formed by a chimney breast one side, on the other side is an existing wall. (hope that makes sense?)
Obviously I would be looking to have the stud wall finish flush with the chimney breast and give the chimney breast and stud wall a new coat of skimming to make good.

Just wondering how to do this! How far to set back the stud wall from the existing finish of the chimney breast? Would you advise that the stud wall have a thin coat of bonding (or something) underneath the final skim. Or should I allow 3mm to bring the stud wall finish level with the finish existing finish of the chimney breast, tape the join, then skim all with final coat.

Just conscious if I don't do this right I might end up with a crack where the join is or look as though it has been bodged!

Happy to clarify any points if it doesn't make sense.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Should be OK, I'm fitting an internal door and have fitted boiler in such a position as a plumber would have unrestricted access should he/she(!) need to be at it. But thanks for thinking about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back