new stud wall - couple of questions.

3 Jan 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am an experienced diyer, but have never tackled a stud wall or plasterboard etc, hence I have a few questions.

Firstly what sort of plasterboard is used on a standard internal stud wall that is to be skimmed square edged or tapered? and if tapered, where the new stud wall abutts an existing wall does the tapered edge abutt this internal corner? If this existing wall is already plastered and painted, then is this internal corner taped and then jointing compound applied to both faces and just feathered into the existing surface with the following skim coat finished neatly into the corner?

Sorry if they sound like obvious questions, but all the available media I have found on building a stud wall seems to fail to mention these points. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the plasterboard is being skimmed then any board will do. However paying a premium for tapered edge boards is pointless. Just use square edge fellas.
Any advice on how to deal with the internal corners abutting existing plastered and painted wall?
Is the wall you are abutting to another stud wall? Is it a downstair room or up stairs?
Sponsored Links
Downstairs room - I think it is dot and dabbed plasterboard over blockwork, but I can't be certain without starting to knock holes in it!
If it is dot and dabbed then you will have to get a piece of stud that you are using and on either side tack a piece of the p/board that you will be using. Then plumb it up where you are going to put it, and draw a pencil line down either side. You can then check what you have got in the ceiling where you are going to run the header, It would help if the joists were running the opposite way to your stud. If not then you have got to put noggins in between the joists! From a plasterers point of view I would then draw a pencil line 20mm from the other pencil lines (both sides) run a Stanley knife down it just enough to cut through the existing plaster to let the scrim tape fit in (this will be half and half on your plaster board. You can do the same on the ceiling if the joists are running cross ways. The area where the stud is going to be positioned needs to have all the old dry wall adhesive taken off and the new stud fixed to the wall. If it is thermalite block then you can put "Sticks like S##t on the back of the stud and put a few long screws into the stud and through to the "therms" If it is con-block then just screw and plug it to the wall. And do the same on the opposite wall. I can tell you how to do it because my old partner was a joiner, and I picked up a few things. You could also ask on the joinery site about stud work,,,. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local