Rebuilding a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is a former shop, converted badly by the previous owners. The shop window, which was 5.7m long and ran floor to ceiling, had been replaced with plywood on the outside and plasterboard on the inside, with a smaller window inserted.

We are in the process of having the plywood and plasterboard replaced with blockwork. The existing window is being reinserted in the same place, and an external door is being added.

The door will obviously need a FENSA certificate, but the rest of the work is just replacing the existing structure with better materials. It is all contained within the orignal window opening, which has a massive RJS across the top so none of this work is structural.

I can't find anything that covers this situation, but am I correct in thinking I do not need to notify the council or get building reg involved?

In my head, all we are doing is putting right the last owner's bodge. They obtained retrospective planning permission for the conversion several years after it was done in order to sell to us.

Sponsored Links
You're building a structural element not blocking up a window, so the council will want to know that the wall is properly built on suitable foundations.

The wall will also most likely need to conform to part l in terms of 25% of the thermal element.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back