Rebuilding a wooden leanto style conservatory/garden room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix a leaking roof on a wooden leanto conservatory but do not want to fall foul of current
regulations.

Mid Terraced House.

The wooden leanto extends to within a few inches of the neighbours fence on both sides which I think is not allowed anymore?
Roof slopes away from the house and uses OSB boards and the felt lining which is starting to peel away and I will probably lose
a bit more with the wind this weekend.

OSB boards have warped so probably been leaking for a while. It could do with stronger beams but it maybe close to the maximum
height where its fixed to the house. Just shy of 18ft wide and extends outwards about 7ft, rough guesses not measured yet.

Can I rebuild it the same way but replace with thicker wood or will that require adhering to new regulations?

Wooden structure completely with a felt roof over OSB, Polycarbonate and twinwall windows depending on the panel.

Seem to remember reading or maybe it was a youtube video that a wooden structure should not be that close to the boundary although
anywhere in my garden could possibly be closer than allowed.

Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The wooden leanto extends to within a few inches of the neighbours fence on both sides which I think is not allowed anymore?
Scenario A
If it’s classed as a conservatory, it’s exempt from building regs and you can go upto the boundary (if under 30m2)

Scenario B
If it’s classed as an extension, it needs to comply with b/regs part B for fire (made from non combustible materials for the bit near the boundary) if within 1 metre of boundary

I get confused with these “solid roof conservatories”

Hoping it's 'A' being a wooden structure on slabs so not a permanent building/extension.

Any idea what would class if as an extension rather than just a conservatory/shed that's attached to the house.

Non combustable within 1 metre would mean it would have to go because the back door is fairly close to
the boundary fence.

If it's a repair, regulations don't apply whatever the building is.

Sponsored Links
What if repair entails replacing the whole thing? As long as it's the same size and looks the same I hope that will be OK?

I have health conditions so looking for the easiest option, possibly building the top and bottom section in 2 pieces and maybe even
having the roof panels in 2 sheets.

Just need to decide on whether to make the panels the size they are now or make them smaller.

Each panel and window is 1 metre or more wide.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back