Reccomend a Combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 2 bed terrace (1,000 sq ft) and need to replace a c. 20 year old combi (Gloworm Hot Water Xpress). Can anyone reccomend a good make/model. I've been reccomended to go for a Worcester or Vaillent??. I want good hot water flow in my shower and have also been advised to go for c. 15 litres per min.
Can anyone help further?

thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
I've recently had fitted a Vaillant EcoMax 824/e with the wireless thermostat, works great, no probs so far.

Only grief was with fitting a drain line which was, in my house was not very accessible so had to go out the wall then fit into existing bathroom drains.

Costs more than other boilers so time will tell how good it is

Thanks - is the Vaillant TurboMax noisy? My current one drones on and on and on (its in the bathroom and therefore quite annoying)

Re the drain - it there not just an overflow to the outside? or do you need to connect boiler to a bespoke drainage pipe?

cheers

It needs a permanent drain line which is slightly acidic, it's from the condensing/reclaiming process, so you need to fit a drain line from it. I used overflow pipe and teed it into the bath waste.

It is quiet, it's in our airing cupboard and we sleep with it on and don't hear it.

Sponsored Links
Turbomax isn't a condensing B so do drain pipe, just a pressure relief pipe through the wall. (It isn't an "overflow"!)

28kW boiler gives noticeably more HW than a 24, 35/37 even better of course, but you need good mains flow to supply it. Measure mains flow into a bucket from outside tap. Less than 20 litres/min and no point going over 28 really.

28 or 35 Cdi with RF stat always works well for my customers and aint too noisy, you will have to get your finger out to get one fitted before april or it's gonna be a condenser and I aint putting my neck on the line with which to go for on that front

I said I have an EcoMax which is a condensing combi

must have wires crossed somewhere, just noticed your post Mulgo and you were talking about TurboMax instead

Bottywarm are brilliant boilers but difficult to get hold of, paper mache heat exchangers on the condensers dont rot, but imperatiuve that allways full of water, has to have a ph value of 1.0 so system has to be flushed using Clearasil and inhibitor is Oil of Olay face cream, works on the principle of boiling water in a paper bag, very lightweight only needs one man to lift on the wall, fan is a Pifco hairdryer and curling tongues model with a little terrrapin nylon impellar fish pond pump so never rots, BG love serviceing them bedcause they allways tell the customer they cant get the spares and try to sell them a new boiler, I think Prickes will be selling them with a heatpack soon with plastic radiators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back