Received kit with European plug, can they do that?

1) BS 1363 = 13A Plug
2) BS 1362 = Fuse found in 13A Plug
3) BS 546 = Old UK 3 round pin plugs
4) BS 4573 Shaver plug 2 x 0.2” pins (5.08mm) 5/8” apart (15.88mm)
5) Europlug 2 x 4mm pins 13.5mm apart.
Both 4 and 5 will often fit in a shaver socket but when both are used one can strain the socket for good connecting with other but at 20VA which is less than 0.01A on shaver socket and 2.5A for europlug it is unlikely to cause fire as a result.

The The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 is quite a lot of reading but the list of Excluded Electrical Devices is the easy bit to read.
So with the exception of BS 4573 all plugs must be non reversible fused 3 pin to BS 1363, BS 546 or adaptor to BS 5733 unless the unit is designed to be built in.
The other exception is items like computers, which are fitted with a plug other than a standard plug, which is designed to engage with a compatible portable multiple socket outlet.
I am uncertain as to an appliance which is fitted with a plug transformer although these appear in the excluded list not sure if this is because the BS number changes or to allow them to be used with non 13A plug.
I have had problems as the weight of a transformer means these will not hold into many of the adaptors and I have bought some sockets while on holiday specially for these transformers so the fit snug around the tapered outer of the plug. As shown here
13-16-Homemade.JPG
although these
Schuko-UK2.jpg
will take the German Schuko they will not work with the French design so have limited use.

So I would not think it is legal unless it is a fixed appliance and a pump could be a fixed appliance and it could be considered as reasonable to use a plug and socket which is unlikely to used by other items and so unlikely to be left unplugged in the same way as the Walsall plug
120px-WG13_PICT6943.jpg
shown at bottom is used.

Sponsored Links
I think that if the appliance is intended for domestic use and designed not to use more than 13A it should have been supplied with a 1363 plug or already fitted with a conversion plug requiring a tool to remove.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1994/Uksi_19941768_en_1.htm

Alan - did you buy it on Fleabay?

Someone is serious at last:

Not sure if name & shame is OK on this board but I bought a french bit of kit for rainwater management:
http://www.pompesguinard-batiment.f...cat=recuperation-eau-pluie&produit=Eco-System
Manuals are on that page in 3 Euro languages.
From a UK disty:
http://www.directpumpsandtanks.co.uk/
and it came as if I were a frog in France.

I have at least one big "legal" problem with this as there are two Type E plugs one for the pump and one for the 3 way valve (mains or rain > output) and that one has to be plugged into a "socket" which is attached to the float switch which switches the live on/off.

The "socket" passes neutral straight through to the pump and switches live on /off via the sealed float switch which is a lump of metal in a sealed float which makes or breaks the live.

Simply replacing the type E on the pump is OK providing you make sure that the 4500 motor isn't using 16A and is OK on UK 13A, but the system won't work if you either plug the valve directly to mains (permanent on) or if you put a UK plug on the float switch (bang when the float is short) on the basis that I have never come across a UK equivalent of this live switching Type E socket adapter which is on the float switch.

I don't see how jpandt should sell this kit in this way, I think they should do a conversion in some way to be compliant with our regs.

Opinion?

A

any reason you can't just permanently wire the stuff in? this doesn't sound like a particulally portable system anyway.

Does it have a CE marking. If it does that 'may' be the end of the legal bit.

I got a bit lost on your description, are you saying:-

The float switch has a plug and a socket and the pump plugs into this socket?

If thats the case can the float switch plug be cut off and replaced?

OR are you saying the floatswitch plug and socket are one moulded unit preventing the plug alone being cut off?

Sponsored Links
the floatswitch plug/socket is shown 2 posts above yours..

it plugs into the wall and the pump plugs into it..
the float switch then switches on the pump as it needs to..

So the white block has a cable coming out of it?

If it was mine, I would simply chop the lot off and start again but I dont recommend that if your not 101% confident with how to do it. Especially as its foreign and the wire colours may not be as expected.

The question wasn't how to do it, I don't have a problem with that.

I certainly don't think that its right for a UK company to distribute kit which isn't "plug and play", but is it legal? (Because if it isn't it must be about the only potentially lethal thing that isn't)

Yes it is CE marked.

A

The question wasn't how to do it, I don't have a problem with that.

I certainly don't think that its right for a UK company to distribute kit which isn't "plug and play", but is it legal? (Because if it isn't it must be about the only potentially lethal thing that isn't)

Yes it is CE marked.

A

In other words it has a traceable european certificate of conformity and under current legislation I believe that means its ok for use in all the countries within the CE agreement even if it different to 'the regs' of a Country.
In fact I may be totally wrong on this one, and am very happy to be told otherwise, but I think it even says something to that effect in the regs.
One of my bow strings is proffessional audio/visual/lighting systems and its now quite normal to have IEC, 13A and Shuko multiway mains sockets side by side in the back of racks of equipment as well as blue and red BS4343.

Adaptors and foreign sockets are freely available in this country, RS & CPC spring to mind instantly and I have purchased some shuko 4gang extention leads from a wholesaler, most likely N&E or CEF.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back