German cooker hood use in UK

For further clarity.....

I have never found Amazon to be a particularly well presented site especially when it comes to finding out the supplier. When I stated "it turns out to have come from Germany" that was not clearly written, I was aware that the hood was a European hood but not of it's origin at the time of ordering, I thought that it was being /supplied by a warehouse in the UK as the postage was reasonable - exactly who supplies it is almost immaterial as with so many companies trading from all over Europe - not to mention 'dropshippers' - you are never really sure, I have bought things off eBay which have UK supplier addresses, yet the item comes with a Chinese Customs label, and arrives after 6 weeks! I tend to go by country of manufacture more than supplier and simply look for EU compliance.

I was under the impression that appliance bought in the EU all had to comply with certain standards and regulations and were largely compatible in all EU countries.
My original question was simply is it OK to use an adapter - not too unreasonable as we all use them with savers! and why does the supplier suggest that I should not cut the plus off.

I have since thought that perhaps Germany uses a different wire colour code which would confuse Brits when cutting off a plug to replace with a UK plug.
Why did I buy it? Well the assertion that it was perhaps to avoid paying import taxes is totally unfounded as there aren't any - we are still in the EU! it was for no other reason than I happened to like the design.

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that appliance bought in the EU all had to comply with certain standards and regulations and were largely compatible in all EU countries.

Try telling Panasonic that. Their TVs are hobbled to only work in a specific country or two.

My original question was simply is it OK to use an adapter - not too unreasonable as we all use them with shavers!

Many of us including me use a proper isolated shaver socket.

I have since thought that perhaps Germany uses a different wire colour code which would confuse Brits when cutting off a plug to replace with a UK plug.

No, for many years now Germany and most other countries have used the harmonised colour codes. (exceptions are the US/Canada).

I have never found Amazon to be a particularly well presented site especially when it comes to finding out the supplier. When I stated "it turns out to have come from Germany" that was not clearly written, I was aware that the hood was a European hood but not of it's origin at the time of ordering, I thought that it was being /supplied by a warehouse in the UK as the postage was reasonable - exactly who supplies it is almost immaterial as with so many companies trading from all over Europe - not to mention 'dropshippers' - you are never really sure, I have bought things off eBay which have UK supplier addresses, yet the item comes with a Chinese Customs label, and arrives after 6 weeks! I tend to go by country of manufacture more than supplier and simply look for EU compliance.
Makes sense.

Yup, from an electrical safety and power system compatibility point of view appliances sold anywhere in the EU should work anywhere in the EU.
However one of the things the Eurocrats have not managed to standardise is the actual plugs and sockets.

My original question was simply is it OK to use an adapter - not too unreasonable as we all use them with savers!
If the adapter is well-made and correctly matched to the plug then an adapter is ok. The problem is all too many adapters out there are either not well made, not correctly matched to the plugs people use them with, or both.

This is especially a problem with the german/french plugs. It's all too easy to end up in a situation where the live and neutral are connected but the earth is not.

Last edited:
Try telling Panasonic that. Their TVs are hobbled to only work in a specific country or two.
Samsung are alright. I brought mine from the UK - it even speaks Portuguese sometimes - it's like magic.

Why don't Panasonic work? How do they know?

Sponsored Links
I recall people on a trip to Italy who were surprised to find the telephones there could speak English as well as Italian. ( Circa 1956 )

My only concern would be if you cut the supplied plug off, the manufacturer may and try and claim that doing that invalidates the warranty.

My only concern would be if you cut the supplied plug off, the manufacturer may and try and claim that doing that invalidates the warranty.
They may well 'try', but it's such a daft argument that I don't think the law would agree.

Whether the warranty of this apparently German-manufactured product, bought from a German supplier, actually applies in the UK is perhaps a different question.

Kind Regards, John

They can use reversible plugs because, either way, the OPD is still on the line conductor.

But what when one encounters a single pole switch/isolator in an extension lead or an appliance, and one has isolated the neutral conductor instead of the line conductor?

Feels somewhat inherently risky to have a non polarised plug and socket system.

But what when one encounters a single pole switch/isolator in an extension lead
They don't have switches on sockets nor extension leads - probably for that reason.

or an appliance, and one has isolated the neutral conductor instead of the line conductor?
Double pole switch ?
However, inside the appliance doesn't matter, does it?

Feels somewhat inherently risky to have a non polarised plug and socket system.
Yep, dropping like flies in Europe.

Either way, the OPD is still on the line conductor.

it's takes a resilient OP to survive asking a question here!
in case the OP hasn't worked it out, you can cut off the plug and either wire in a standard plug, or simply connect directly to a suitable fused connection unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back