German cooker hood use in UK

Sponsored Links
Females have a socket ... Males have a pin (sometimes more than one) to plug into it.
As I said, that is one (the conventional) view.

... but what would you say about the picture which started all this? - if one component has two pins, with 'holes' in the other component they 'plug into', and the second component also has a pin, which plugs into a 'hole' in the first component, then which is the plug and which is the socket?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Oh, by the way, pyounger, the first reply was correct. :)
Indeed, and I think I was probably also correct when I wrote, a couple of pages back ...
They may differ from opinions you've received from elsewhere, but I think that everyone here would probably agree that you should cut off the plug and connect either a UK 13A plug or wire it directly into a FCU.

Kind Regards, John

I suppose it would be an acceptable description to say they are sockets for 3 round-pin plugs.
Yep, that sounds like a perfectly reasonable description.
They are not, though, 3 pin round sockets, are they? ... Also, no one would say the sockets had three pins (let alone two), would they?
As you imply, they have no 'pins' at all - hence my presentation of that to indicate that the use of terminology in this area is, at least partially, confused and confusing.

It's a pretty widespread issue. If you do searches for "N-pin socket", where N can be any single-digit (or smallish double-digit) number, you will find (amongst other things) countless hits relating to things that have no 'pins' at all (but do have 'holes'/places into which one can plug 'pins').

Kind Regards, John

Did you miss a part of what I meant?

"3 pin round sockets"

Not only do they have no pins, but they are not round sockets.

I can see the problem, if bought with £ from Amazon and order is filled by a German supplier, then technically your contract is with Amazon not the German supplier.

However it is clear you don't want to return it, so you have to decide what method to use, cut off plug, fit adaptor on plug, use plug in adaptor, or fit a French socket.

With all but cut off plug you don't know if you have line and neutral correct way around so really there is no option.

If worried ask Amazon as contract is with them.

Did you miss a part of what I meant? "3 pin round sockets" Not only do they have no pins, but they are not round sockets.
Yes, I did miss that. I suppose they could have avoided that particular criticism by writing "3 round pin sockets", but that would not have altered the fact that they have no pins (of any shape) at all.

Although not an excuse, I suppose that some of this arises out of a desire for a somewhat more concise product name/descriptor than, say "Socket for 2A 3-round-pin plugs".

Kind Regards, John

To my mind this post raises questions as who is importer, and who is responsible for the safety of the goods supplied? Having googled the instructions it is clear there is a British version, and one would have expected the supplier to have supplied the version for the country it was sending it to, or at least queried the requirement before dispatch. The poster says he had not expected it to be supplied from Germany so one assumes paid for in pounds sterling so some one had to convert the payment into Euros.

Buying items from abroad to avoid tax, or to get a subsidised product, i.e. getting it on the cheap, then clearly let the buyer beware, I have seen many times post about buying from USA where the buyer was well aware of what he was doing, but either wanted it cheaper or some thing not sold in UK, my father-in-law had American cars, converter to right hand drive, and there were problems getting spares and wiring it to tow a caravan, but he was fully aware of what he had done.

Many items I have bought have wallmart power supplies with a selection of slide in plugs, which allow world wide use, or alternative lead sets, with ISO 60320 connectors so one simply swaps the lead, I suspect there is a lead available for the hood as shown on instructions with a British plug, and correct procedure should have been to offer the alternative lead, in this case the instructions it lists "Connection to rewireable plug" and details how to cut off original and replace, so simply can't see why a supplier would not follow manufacturers instructions? Maybe only included in the English version?

At the moment there is nothing to stop us buying from any EEC country, wonder what will happen in the future?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back