Recessed lights (GU10) with foil roof insulation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We`ve had our flat roof extension roof/ceiling redone and i have had the wiring installed for 6 recessed lights ie GU10 type.

The issue is that above the plasterboard ceiling is a loose fitted foil thermal insulation.
Like this..
http://www.wickes.co.uk/thermal-insulation-foil-roll-600mmx8m/invt/210022/

And i`m concerned of any problems with the proximity of the lighting to the foil in an electric and heat sense, also for any condensation that may build up in the cavity.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the safest way to install recessed lights with foil insulation? I`ll probably use led gu10s. I`ve seen downlight covers, should this be something that I should use. Bearing in mind that I have no access from above, only from the 10cm holes drilled in the plasterboard.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks yeah I saw those. Crazy prices, £9 each. Thats more than my lights cost each, all for a bit of cardboard by the looks of it! ;)

Seriously though, is there a cheaper option. The roof structure is steel and a flat roof btw if that helps?

Sponsored Links
The issue is that above the plasterboard ceiling is a loose fitted foil thermal insulation.
Like this..
http://www.wickes.co.uk/thermal-insulation-foil-roll-600mmx8m/invt/210022/
Ye Gods.

Did you not do any research to find out how useless that stuff is, and what a pack of lies the makers tell about it?

Do you realise that there's no chance you'll have complied with the Building Regulations?

Anyway - apart from the issue of providing clearance for the lights, you've also got to ensure that you have a sealed cover over the holes in order to stop air movement from the room into the space above the ceiling, because if you don't you'll get condensation up there.

Basically with a flat roof it will be impossible to install recessed lights properly.

what about fire rated downlights?
Fire rated means that they'll have an intumescent component which swells up and closes off all the holes when there's a fire. It does not mean that when there isn't a fire there's no path for warm moist air to get into the roof space and it does not mean that they don't need ventilation and clearances.

Shouldnt be much heat with LED bulbs
But what little they produce they cannot tolerate at all well, so it must be got rid of. They will still require ventilation and clearances.

Did you not do any research to find out how useless that stuff is, and what a pack of lies the makers tell about it?
Yes, but from your previous replies on the subject of recessed lighting you think many things are useless. So i`ll ignore that comment.

Do you realise that there's no chance you'll have complied with the Building Regulations?
I`ll ignore that one too as its been checked to conform to building regs.

Anyway - apart from the issue of providing clearance for the lights, you've also got to ensure that you have a sealed cover over the holes in order to stop air movement from the room into the space above the ceiling, because if you don't you'll get condensation up there.

Basically with a flat roof it will be impossible to install recessed lights properly
No it wont. It had recessed lighting for 10 years previously without any problems.

I`ll ignore that one too as its been checked to conform to building regs.
It's plastic bubble wrap with a reflective coating on one side.

What U-value do they claim for it?

No it wont. It had recessed lighting for 10 years previously without any problems.
And i`m concerned of any problems with ... condensation that may build up in the cavity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back