GU10 downlights in slanting roof cavity.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install some GU10 downlights in a slanting ceiling with the roof tiles directly above. This is standard construction - plasterboard/space/roofing felt/tils. Is this OK?

Should I be aware of some minimium clearance for cooling?
Are there building regs I need to adhere to?

Sponsored Links
What about insulation? And, although there is roofing felt there, any holes or severe wind conditions may make it a damp environment. I would suggest you remove all insulation for at least six inches all round the perimeter of the lamps and fit intumescent smoke/fire hoods.

You might want to investigate the newer lamps coming into the market at the moment: you can get GU10 lamps with both LED and compact fluorescent formats. They cost much more than standard but run cool and save energy

Building Regs to consider: Approved document s;
B3 - Fire precautions
L1 - Conservation of fuel and power (Insulation)

After the advice from Dingbat i'm now thinking that some kind of surface mounted light (probably low voltage) would make more sense. Need to find a suitable low profile offering first ....

Any issues with GU10 and low voltage lights on the same dimmer?

What's the issue with dichroic GU10s vs PAR?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could you use a low voltage wire support system. Have used this myself on the sloping ceiling in our bungalow over the gallery/stairs. Very flexible and effective.

Click Here

Not a huge amount of room for a wire system. The sloping element of the ceiling starts at eye level above kitchen stove / worktop and then extends to the same level as the rest of the ceiling.

I'm now looking into Saturno Angled Downlighter http://www.withknobson.com/acatalog/cornice_lighting.html

Can I mix a low voltage circuit and HV on the same dimmer switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back