Downlights - GU10 fittings v integrated fittings

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE NO WINSTON REPLIES.
PLEASE NO DEBATES ABOUT WHETHER DOWNLIGHTS ARE A GOOD IDEA.
PLEASE NO PEDANTIC DISCUSSIONS AROUND MR16 V GU10, TRANSFORMER V DRIVER, WHATEVER.
Thank you.

Apologies for the bright red text but downlighter discussions seem to trigger some people.

When fitting downlights, what are the pros and cons of standard GU10 fittings with LED bulbs, versus an integrated fitting like one of these?
ae235.jpg

My thoughts are:
  • GU10 - can change bulb when it breaks without having to change whole fitting
  • GU10 - no obsolescence issues - replacement bulbs should be available for a long time
  • GU10 - cheaper
  • Integrated- often come with nice push fit wiring terminals for loop
  • Integrated- should be more reliable as better heat sinking can be designed in
  • Integrated- should have better beam pattern for more even light distribution as no constraints on lens
  • Integrated- shallow fittings available for situations such as flat roofs
What do most people fit nowadays? Are most pros moving to the integrated fittings?

For info I'm looking at 6x downlights of roughly 4W for a study. Non-dimmable, cool-white, good CRI, wide beam angle, fire-rated not required.

Thank you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You have no right to shout at me in red.

But I will reply anyway. Use GU10 for the simple fact that replacements are readily available.

Now apologise for your actions.

A few years ago I fitted a load of integrated LED down lights for a customer. About 30 altogether. (I know)..

Several of these died and have been replaced. Now they are discontinued and there’s nothing that matches.

Now it’s a case of changing all the down lights in one room for GU10 with separate lamps. The working ones are now spares for the other rooms.

I would advise against integrated for that reason. There’s plenty of handy connectors about these days.

I have looked at the GX53 fitting as flush with same idea as GU10 and slightly larger, but the GU10 has become a standard size, and unlikely to find no replacements in the future. My son fitted them instead of the fluorescent and he got a very good deal buying 16 for kitchen to replace the single 65 watt fluorescent, cost was about the same as a new 58 watt fluorescent, wattage about the same (3.5 watt each) lumen about the same, and unlike the integrated if he wants it dimmer or brighter he can swap bulbs and use them else where. And however much I say about planetarium, it does look better than old fluorescent. 98361719_10158572386853420_1054327038518755328_o.jpg So have to agree with @Taylortwocities it's GU10 the way to go, I seem to remember seeing something about EU going to ban the integral so likely they will stop making them, even if we are not part of EU.

P.S. Bike was a wind up, he said wife never used it, just an ornament, so may as well be put on wall as an ornament.

Sponsored Links
GU10 everytime.

No issues when they fail.

And you can change the lamp for a different colour effect when you like.

Too many issues with failing integrated ones, including the risk of damage to ceiling when removing the fitting.

GU10s can be fitted with halogen for one. Have only used integrated fittings for a number of years now and wouldn't go back. Just use decent makes e.g. Collingwood.

Is that really a concern these days? I don’t think any of the major retailers stock halogen lamps anymore.

If a GU10 LED fails it’s a 60 second job for the home owner to swap it and costs about £4.

If a halers H2 fitting fails it’s a 15 minute job for an electrician to swap it and will end up costing about £50

Is that really a concern these days? I don’t think any of the major retailers stock halogen lamps anymore.

If a GU10 LED fails it’s a 60 second job for the home owner to swap it and costs about £4.

If a halers H2 fitting fails it’s a 15 minute job for an electrician to swap it and will end up costing about £50
H2 fittings have a plug and socket arrangement now, so it's just a matter of unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one actually.

H2 fittings have a plug and socket arrangement now, so it's just a matter of unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one actually.

It’s still going to cost 10x as much as a GU10 lamp. I can get a GU10 lamp from the co-op in our village at 9.30 on a Sunday night if needs be and any brand will fit straight in.

Many GU10 LEDs are a struggle to fit in. Integrated fittings are infinitely superior. That is simply fact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back