Bathroom downlights, max 80mm deep, not too bright.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going to replace the downlights in my bathroom. Currently there are four 230 V GU10 fittings that are not suitable for bathrooms, and this previous post showed the quality of the installation:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/this-used-to-be-a-terminal-block.542589/

I’m not a huge fan of downlights but I will replace with something similar as I don’t want to try to fill in the holes or move the wiring.

Currently three of the four lamps are functional and the brightest two have 250 lm, 3.5W Phillips LED GU10 bulbs. I really don’t want anything brighter than that, and this is my problem.

I thought it would be easy to find some suitable integrated LED lamps, but I am having trouble finding anything that’s not too bright. For example, TLC don’t seem to have anything below 6 W, and Screwfix don’t have anything below 5 W (370 lm). So perhaps I’ll fit new bathroom-suitable GU10 fittings and use 250 lm bulbs, but the ones I’ve looked at need more depth than I have.

My holes are about 60mm diameter and 80mm deep. Can anyone recommend something? Preferably currently available for delivery.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Personally you must like a really dim Bathroom. Most want it as bright and white as they can get. You could check the kelvin rating on the lamp which will give a huge difference of look although the lux levels may not change massively the warmer the light the dimmer it appears to the individual. So the higher the K number the whiter the light. I have 5w (decent brand) cool white and they are just about right for majority of people. Make sure you have the warm white if you do not like the bright appearance. Also the cheaper the lamp is often proven to give a much lower performance in lux output. A Philips 3.5w will be significantly different to a cheap unbranded 3.5w that you may find dull, also the type of LED used. A cheap lamp unbranded at shed outlet will probably give you the result you want, personally wouldn't touch them. It is good that you are checking the lumen output also, although some are very ambitious with their levels advertised.

Where is your light switch? If it's outside the bathroom (or can be) you could use a dimmer switch.
Size wise, the diameter is pretty common, but the one(s) above the bath/shower need to be ip rated which may affect the depth, so it's a case of shopping around and confirming dimensions or removing the restrictions above if it's a boarded loft for example.

Sponsored Links
It’s a relatively small en-suite; four 500 lumen bulbs would be over-bright by any standards I believe.
I wouldn't say so, people like a white bright bathroom. I have a very small one and fine. But as I said go for a cheap brand from one of the sheds or tool station and they will perform grim and give you the light level you personally want.

https://www.toolstation.com/led-gu10-lamp/p17618

That chart is a copy of an entirely random piece that someone created many decades ago with no basis in fact or reality.
It and others like it should be ignored.

300 lux is 300 lumens/m²
Totally different to using 300 lumen lamps.

edit

sorry, I misunderstood. You're asking for lighting fittings.

that chart was probably back in the day when that's as good as they could offer with LV lamps at 50w. It has taken years for LED to get where it is and its getting better all the time. Also you have to consider where you want those light levels is it head height, floor height or somewhere in between.
Your preference may be candlelight lol

To finish off this old thread - I eventually fitted four of these:

https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk/custom/upload/attachments/products/1/ovi_ov3600wh5wd.pdf

IP65, fire rated, 49 mm deep, 2700 K, 230 lumens, and dimmable. That’s substantially brighter than before but not unbearable. The CRI (claims 80) might be a bit worse than some other LEDs I have though.

It’s interesting that though that PDF says 230 lumens, the electricalcounter product web page says “up to 350 lumens”. So maybe I’m currently getting 350 which will drop to 230 over time. Hmmm....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back