Downlight replacement problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In one dark corner of my hall there was an old surface-mounted BC-fitted spotlight, so while redecorating that area I decided to replace it with a new recessed fire-rated LED downlight. I wanted to use a GU10 for this as well for flexibility, rather than one with an integrated LED. I removed the old fitting, secured the end of the cable temporarily in a choc-box in an enclosure, and cut a 70mm diameter hole ready for a new downlight. Then came the problem.....

Because of work apparently done since the light was installed originally there is no access to the ceiling void in that corner (without ripping up fitted cupboards in the room above) so it is essential that I can change the bulb or remove the downlight from below. So I made a 70mm hole in a scrap piece of plasterboard and experimented with various makes/models, so far with no success.

Most ‘can’ types seem to require considerable force to get them back out, to the extent that I’ve broken one ‘test board’ already! I tried a Meridian model where, once the bulb is inserted they seem to push the cables from the GU10 holder back out of the top of the can, but the bulb+GU10 holder do not drop back down when the retaining clip is removed, so you have to take the can out in order to push the bulb out – that’s no good.

I tried the Integral-LED ‘can-less’ EvoFire model – very neat with much lighter springs and very easy to pull out from the front (which you have to do to change the bulb ‘cos of the heat-resistant glass in the bezel), but the problem with that was that it only works with flat-fronted bulbs and I’ve got domed ones for wide-angle lighting.

So, can anyone please recommend a widely-available, modestly-priced GU10 downlight where (a) you can get the bulb in/out easily without needing to remove the fitting and (b) you can get the fitting out of the ceiling if necessary without wrecking it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Why do you want fire rated? An ordinary non fire rated one would probably comply with a and b.

NB fire rating is to prevent the spread of fire through the hole in the ceiling. But no doubt you have a big hole where the stairs go anyway.

As a decorator, I have never wrecked ceilings when pulling down lights. From time to time I have experienced a little bit of plaster break off when the hole was a bit tighter than it should have been.

Given the relative proximity of the location to the staircase then maybe fire-rated is a bit irrelevant, but it just seemed 'a good idea' to use FR as a matter of course.

Sponsored Links
Toolstation's budget GU10 downlights (Meridian iirc) have a moderate spring loading- no damage to ceilings caused by popping them out for an EICR last year.
Lath and plaster ceilings will be far less tolerant than plasterboard.
If you make the cutout a bit bigger than the absolute minimum (keep it small enough that the cutout is still covered by bezel no matter where in the hole the unit is) you'll reduce the pressure needed to pull the fitting out significantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back