recessed lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have built a new room on the side of our house, 6.2m x 3.1m. One end will be a kitchen and the other a dining area.

We would like to have recessed lights, but can't decide between mains downlights, mains voltage halogen or low voltage halogen.

Does anyone have any preferences, and also how many should we fit.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
simple answer

its up to you, every one has their own opinion on what is right

Mains voltage over l/v halogen I would say, they are "hard" though(bright light, bright light !!)so dimmer required. Mains downlights (?) would look warmer as halogen on full is in yer face so hence the dimmer.
In our open plan lounge we have GU10 50W & 35W in the quieter corners, when you want to relax, dim the lights and you get a nice glow, but as breezer said, its up to you.
BUT If you do use dimmer switches on mains voltage halogen lamps the stated wattage capacity will have to be reduced by roughly a third (i.e. 400W incandescant will do 250W halogen) so get the 400W dimmers as with 250W you might not even know they're on (which they won't, as they'll burn out.) . :cool:

Sponsored Links
copy from another asking similar question

No comparison, in my opinion low voltage every time

lamp life - low voltage much better and cheaper always use branded products.

Light source - Low voltage much crisper whiter light

Lux levels at 2mts distance (ie around work top height
Low Voltage = 1050 lux
Mains GU10 = 285 Lux

If you like changing lamps and needing more fittings then gu10 all the way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back