Kitchen Lighting: Suggestions for improvement please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our existing kitchen, L shaped and approx. 5m x 4m into the recess is currently illuminated by 8 ELV recessed halogen downlighters and 3 CFLs located between cupboards and worktops. Whilst I find the halogen lamps pleasing, there are two problems for me. Firstly, because this is a bungalow the lamps are effectively located in the loft and in my view force me to reduce the amount of loft insulation I can safely install in order to maintain adequate ventilation round the lamps. Secondly Because of the recess in the "L" there are some areas not particularly well lit. I would like to dispense with the halogens altogether and would welcome any suggestions as to suitable and efficient replacements. (These should also be aesthetically pleasing. Lastly does anyone have experience of "solar light tube" solutions for bringing natural daylight to the recess area? The kitchen receives its daylight from a north facing window.

Sponsored Links
TLALC724.JPG
Wouldn't these help insulation wise?

Thanks for the tip. However, I think you then have the problem of heat dissipation and consequent premature failure of the bulbs.

LED spotlights (generally) dont have the same problems with heat dissipation & their lifetime is almost unbeatable (if you go with a decent brand)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the tip. However, I think you then have the problem of heat dissipation and consequent premature failure of the bulbs.
Apparently not.

The spec of the Aico LoftCaps states:

Maintains sufficient air space around the fitting to allow continuous roof insulation to be laid directly over light fittings without overheating or damage to the lighting

Is it safe to put the ELV trannys under the caps also though- I would hazard a guess no...

I would change the fittings from ELV to 230V GU10 type to get rid of the trannys and then use decent LED lamps. I have some General Electric LED's in my kitchen (from Rexel Senate) and they give excellent light and colour. Be wary if you do go down the LED route as many brands are carp. The GE lamps I have were around £8 each.

You can also get fire rated downlights that claim insulation can go straight over the top. They are quite pricey though at around £35 per fitting.

some under/over cabinet lighting might look nice and help with the darkness in the recess of the L, depends on where your cabinets are though.

I do quite like the effect of under/over cabinet lighting - under cabinet puts light exactly where you want and over cabinet adds a nice ambience but isn't really a 'task light'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back