B&Q lighting dept

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Doncaster's B&Q has just had a bit of a revamp on the lighting dept.

They now have about 30 feet of halogen spots, upwards of 100 fittings, all fitted with halogen lamps.

Previously they were fitted with cheap LEDs, with a sign up saying "LED lamps used for display purposes only". What a vast waste of energy this is. There should be some kind of customer control over when the lights are illuminated - just like they had on the fan display.

Their range of recessed downlighters are now in the dark, again, previously they were fitted with LEDs.

They STILL dont have a good range of low energy PL downlights.

Though their "mix n match" range of downlights is a good idea - you can choose a lamp and lampholder package (range includes a few LEDs, cheap and expensive, and CFLs), and a seperate surround and clips.

IMO they should double the price of their halogen lamps, and half the price of the LEDs.

My mum bought an LED lamp and I rigged it up for her to try (she's doing her bathroom up and wants low energy but modern lights). We were impressed by it. She's going to have 6 of these, total 18 watts :cool:

Sponsored Links
My mum bought an LED lamp and I rigged it up for her to try (she's doing her bathroom up and wants low energy but modern lights). We were impressed by it. She's going to have 6 of these, total 18 watts :cool:

And the cost?

Few months back I fitted GU10 LED lamps in a persons house, they were bought from B&Q, in a silver packet, I was surprised as LED's are normally crap but these were pretty good.
Cant remember the name of them but I was told they were £13 a pop and she had bought 6 of them.
A lot of £££ for a few lamps.

Few months back I fitted GU10 LED lamps in a persons house, they were bought from B&Q, in a silver packet, I was surprised as LED's are normally crap but these were pretty good.
Cant remember the name of them but I was told they were £13 a pop and she had bought 6 of them.
A lot of £££ for a few lamps.

With LEDs you have to think long term. They will last 15 years easily - how many halogen spots will you have replaced? How much energy will they have used?

Were yours Alpha?

We got the B&Q own one (I think), it was £15. But thats a drop in the ocean compared to what she's spent on the room so far :LOL: I put it in a 4-lamp fitting, with it and a halogen spot shining at a wall, I'd say the 3 watt LED gave 60% of the light of the 50w halogen.

I just emailed B&Q with my thoughts :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Yes they were now you mention it!!
Your right but being a scotsman I grudge paying that for lamps (or anything) even when it will save ££ in long run. :LOL:

CFLs were £10+ when they first came to market. Actual price of manufacture. Before energy companies started subsidising them to the point they were giving them away (which is now illegal).

How long before energy companies start subsidising LEDs? Soon I hope :LOL:

I find 12V halos rarely need changing, 240V much more. Do not personally like any of the LED lamps I have seen thus far.

Personally I would opt for 12V with (decent) trannys everytime.

With LEDs you have to think long term. They will last 15 years easily
On what do you base this claim? yes indicator LEDs in equipment last practically forever but those are running at much much lower currents and noone cares much if they get a little dimmer over thier lifetime.

Leds for lighting are a relatively new technology and as such I would take any lifetime claims with a pinch of salt.

. Before energy companies started subsidising them to the point they were giving them away (which is now illegal).
And from whom do you think the energy companies get the money needed for the subsidy?

Clue: It's not the shareholders.

I very much like LED lamps (I appreciate that this is very much a matter of opinion) But they are not as reliable as claimed, my experience says that they fail at about the same rate as anything else, which seems to indicate that occasional bad ones creep through. They do, however, use much less juice while they are working and they are getting better, cheaper and more reliable. Unfortunately, as said, the electricity suppliers will soon get them outlawed when their profits drop.

Energy companies will not be subsidising any form of LED lighting for the same reason the 'free' CFLs ended - the government changed the rules so that suppliers had to spend the money on things which actually worked such as loft and wall insulation.

Sending people dozens of CFLs which they didn't want or need has a tiny effect on energy usage, and paying people to convert from CFL to LED will have an even smaller effect.
All of this lighting energy saving is totally wiped out anyway, because so many people replace a 100w pendant with 6x50W downlighters.

The big gains in saving energy are from insulation, heating systems which have the proper controls, replacing ancient gas boilers with new ones, and educating people how to use energy properly.

not needed to change any halogens 12V or otherwise in the last 3 years (ok, I only have 8 in my whole house)
CFLs, some are 6y/o and still ok, I tend to rotate them, new ones in lounge, bedroom where light wants to be full asap, the older ones go into the hal/stairs where it doesnt matter if they take a few mins to warm, they tend to be left on from dusk till bed-time.

ok, so cfls are no longer subsidised, you can still get decent ones for 6 for £1...

i have 12v halogen downlighters all over my house, fitted 4 years ago - not replaced a single one. i did have CFLs in the outside lights but they were so bad they were pointless so I changed them for halogen GLS lamps, not replaced one yet.

the LEDs dont give as good light as halogens. I do have some LEDs in one room, they were about £30 each and the colour of them is changing and they arent as bright. I cant see them lasting 15 years.

You only have to look at my local B&Q which has led lighting on its display and the cluster ones have at least several individual lamps failing, its a very poor advert for using LED replacements. This is probably why they are using halogens again...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back