Kitchen lighting and notification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time poster here.

From reading lots of stuff on here I'd like to ensure that I understand the notification requirements for kitchen lighting.

I have six ELV downlights in the kitchen which I would like to replace with either ELV LEDs or 240v replacements (either LEDs or CFLs).

Am I right in thinking that I would be able to do the former as I would just be replacing the transformers for LED drivers (plus the lamps) but would have to get an electrician in for the latter as it would mean replacing the cabling?

Thanks in advance.

S

Sponsored Links
Unless you are having to add cable then i would say not. A 1 or 1.5mm cable should be supplying the existing transformers somewhere. If there is sufficient cable to reach your new 240v lights then you are not adding or extending the circuit just doing a replacement.

I have six ELV downlights in the kitchen which I would like to replace
Gypsum_board_Plasterboard_MDFand_HDF.jpg

Quick-Setting-Patching-Plaster_medium.jpg

0139828_m.jpg

Sponsored Links
Just to make your decision even more justified.

Just got back from a job where in the house they have 5 ELV downlight in the kitchen, 5 in the living room 3 on the stairs 2 in the bathroom 5 in the main bedroom and 3 in the second bedroom.

I got called out because the lighting circuit had just gone bang. Now the serious bit ;)

Of these lights which had been fitted appallingly by who ever did them.

3 in the kitchen had blown their transformers. 1 had burnt through its cable (The bang in the circuit) another transformer had its case melting and the other had just stopped.

In the lounge 1 transformer had gone.

On the stairway when i inspected them, although all working one was burning through its cable and had reached the point where as soon as i touched it the cable snapped

In the main bedroom 1 transformer had gone.

In the second bedroom all three on a dimmer and that was about to go (flickering lights and a faint crackling sound coming from it)

The reason for the lights in the kitchen being in the state they were was that they had been retro fitted and no-one had cleared the insulation that was between the floors from around the lights cable or transformer.

Same in the hall/stair.

So not only not very bill friendly from an electrical useage but not bill friendly from an ongoing maintenace cost.

You would be better off getting a light which does not need lamps with integral ballasts.

If the ballast is in the light it will be of much better quality than the integrated CFLs, there'll be HF options for instant start, options for proper dimming, options for emergency backup etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back