Recessed Shower Valve Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I have recently installed a new shower and was hoping to ask for some advice regarding the best way to install the shower facia plate to ensure 100% watertight.

After having a leak, we have gone to a great deal of effort to make sure the new installation is watertight, installing both aqua panel and shower waterproofing kit prior to tiling.

The new tiles we have chosen and installed look great
(Metro tile with bevelled edge) however the shower fascia plate which covers the recessed valve won't sit 100% flat against the tile due to the bevelled edges of the tiles we have chosen.

The rear of the shower plate has 2 rubber gaskets to eliminate any water entering behind the plate from the control dials, and has a padded foam backing material which runs around the rear edge of the plate which pushes firmly against the tile.

Obviously my first thought was to apply a thick bead of silicone to the rear of the plate along the left, right, and top of the shower valve plate leaving a small section at the bottom where the drain hole is, just incase any water does enter through the rubber gaskets around the control valves.

I was hoping to try and refrain from applying silicone to the edge of the shower plate which will be visible against the tile as with the best will in the world, silicone can start to look shoddy after a few years even considering we are using a BAL anti fungal silicone with Microban.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back