Recessing a flush handle into a door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of hanging new internal doors. One of them is the tank cupboard which opens out into a narrow hallway, so have bought a flush-fitting "squash court door" handle (was fed up catching my elbow on the previous doorknob).

It needs to be recessed 18mm into the door, which is fine but the part that needs to be recessed is circular 72mm diameter.

What's the right tool for this job? router?

Sponsored Links
Router if you have one. But if this is a one-off then drill round a series of holes and clean out with a good sharp chisel. If the handle has a slight overlap where it fits into the door then any slight errors (and I do mean slight) will be covered.

Thanks - I don't actually have a router, so I was thinking of drilling a pattern of holes to the right depth with a flat bit, and chiselling off the bits in between. There's an overlap of at least 8mm so should be easily covered. Just didn't want to be a botcher!!! But thanks again - sounds like I have a plan.

My only concern now is that the door is an XL joinery one so once I break through the veneer there'll just be wood shavings and wishful thinking to drill into anyway...

Just make sure you know where the lock block is and you should be drilling into solid timber.

Sponsored Links
you might be able to use a tank cutter of that size,set the depth and then carefully chisel out to the waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back