Understair cupboard door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fed up of cracking my head on the low (4' 9") doorway and door, under the stairs, I am now determined to fix it. The bottom of the stair is on the left of the door. Present door hinges on right. With on the immediate right, tight up to it, the kitchen door frame. This is in the hall, so opening the cupboard door, it blocks access to the kitchen door, opening into a passage, opposite it, a wall.

The plan is to leave the present door left hand side jamb as is, and slope the door top, up to the right, to match the slope of the stair. I have a couple of flush doors in stock, from when I fitted internal new doors, all round, a couple of years ago. The doors are 6' 3' x 2' 6", but if my revised door frame goes straight up, the door would need to be 6' 6" on the right, top corner - so, what to do?

Door width is already reduced by 3", to 2' 3" and don't want to have to reduce the width any more. I also don't want to reduce the general height any.

6' 3" x 2'' 3" means trimming 3" off the side of the door, 3" removed from one side means the original hole for the handle, will be gone, assuming the solid timber core is full height, on the lock side.

I was thinking to follow the slope of the stair, up to 6' 3", the have then door framing turn horizontal. The present door hinges on the right, so open to most of the house, might it be worth changing it to hinge on the left?

My door in stock, is one of those cheap, flush eggbox inside types. Idea is to cut to size, where the slope will expose the 'eggbox' inside, recess the eggbox enough to add a bit of timber, trimmed to suit, and glued into place.

Diagram below, gives an rough idea of what I have in mind.

Attachments

• door.gif
    door.gif
    35.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Nah, difficult enough ducking under, without one of those. Only cracked my head on it, twice today, though now it is gone :)

Reinstatement on hold, now until Saturday - shopping trip and timber require collecting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back